Brace for Newman on London Colney return
Prolific striker Matt Newman made a welcome return for London Colney as he netted twice to help see off Biggleswade United.
LONDON Colney were 3-1 winners at Biggleswade United despite missing four players from their usual line-up.
Mark Paradise, Danny McCafferty, Dane Keenleyside and Craig Knightly were absent, but Blueboys’ top scorer Matt Newman was on form scoring twice.
Early in the first half a Newman free-kick was blocked before, from the resulting corner, Russell Gallagher’s pass saw Newman volley past Scott Waters only for his effort to hit the bar and bounce over.
Newman then struck a fierce low drive straight at the keeper before, on 23 minutes, Ryan Thompson’s Blueboys went ahead when Matt Sutton’s shot was saved, but not held, by Waters, and Newman followed up for the opener.
Gallagher had an effort on goal, which was saved, before the same player then headed just wide.
Biggleswade had chances of their own with James Peters having a hooked shot well held by Whittamore before Sean Murray fired over the bar.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
In the second half the Blueboys started on the attack with Gallagher seeing has shot saved before Newman fired over.
The second goal eventually arrived when Gallagher found Matt Sutton who, from 22 yards, struck a fine curling effort past Waters and into the bottom corner.
Josh Galloway had a good chance to extend the Blueboys’ lead when a neat pass from Newman sent him clear only for the Colney man to fire wide.
Biggleswade then struck with a break resulting in Josh Dance firing into the top corner for 2-1 with 20 minutes left.
But after clawing their way back into the game Biggleswade then made a mistake which allowed Colney to score a third when a pass between United defenders found Newman who curled his effort into the bottom corner for 3-1.
There was still time for Gallagher to go close, twice, while at the back Colney held firm for the win.