Brace for Newman on London Colney return
Prolific striker Matt Newman made a welcome return for London Colney as he netted twice to help see off Biggleswade United.
LONDON Colney were 3-1 winners at Biggleswade United despite missing four players from their usual line-up.
Mark Paradise, Danny McCafferty, Dane Keenleyside and Craig Knightly were absent, but Blueboys’ top scorer Matt Newman was on form scoring twice.
Early in the first half a Newman free-kick was blocked before, from the resulting corner, Russell Gallagher’s pass saw Newman volley past Scott Waters only for his effort to hit the bar and bounce over.
Newman then struck a fierce low drive straight at the keeper before, on 23 minutes, Ryan Thompson’s Blueboys went ahead when Matt Sutton’s shot was saved, but not held, by Waters, and Newman followed up for the opener.
Gallagher had an effort on goal, which was saved, before the same player then headed just wide.
Biggleswade had chances of their own with James Peters having a hooked shot well held by Whittamore before Sean Murray fired over the bar.
- 1 Club night revival in St Albans
- 2 St Albans woman stops British Grand Prix at Silverstone
- 3 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 4 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 5 St Albans District pupils power to success in the pool
- 6 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 7 Cock fight ends Company of Ten's first-rate season at the Abbey Theatre
- 8 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 9 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 10 IN PICTURES: The return of Kimpton Folk Festival
In the second half the Blueboys started on the attack with Gallagher seeing has shot saved before Newman fired over.
The second goal eventually arrived when Gallagher found Matt Sutton who, from 22 yards, struck a fine curling effort past Waters and into the bottom corner.
Josh Galloway had a good chance to extend the Blueboys’ lead when a neat pass from Newman sent him clear only for the Colney man to fire wide.
Biggleswade then struck with a break resulting in Josh Dance firing into the top corner for 2-1 with 20 minutes left.
But after clawing their way back into the game Biggleswade then made a mistake which allowed Colney to score a third when a pass between United defenders found Newman who curled his effort into the bottom corner for 3-1.
There was still time for Gallagher to go close, twice, while at the back Colney held firm for the win.