Bowls: Three wins for Harpenden in national mixed pairs
In the national mixed pairs Harpenden Bowling Club had three wins.
Two matches were all Harpenden affairs with Linda and David Brooks beating Simon Burgess and Lucy Ratcliffe, 23-16, and Nick Muir and Jenny Redford won 26-19 against Rebecca Maynard and Danny Macro. The other match saw Lesley Tutt and Tony Redford beat a pair from Northaw in an extra end.
In the men’s Team Ten competition, Harpenden played away at Rosedale in four disciplines. Harpenden lost by one shot in both the singles and the triples but both the pairs and the fours won by good margin. Harpenden won the game by 93 shots to 59.
In the county Inter Club championship competition, played on three rinks, Harpenden were at home to Hatfield. Harpenden won on all rinks and 90-39 overall.
Harpenden’s men had an emphatic away win over Shire Park in the first round of the National Two Fours. The team of Woodie Donoghue, Ken Murray, Tony Redford and Nick Muir won 24-15.
You may also want to watch:
The team of Rob Newby, Kevin Brazier, John Osborn and Tom Muir had a closer match but stormed ahead after 15 ends, scoring seven shots on the penultimate end to lead 29-15 when Shire Park conceded.
In the same competition Harpenden B Team played at home against Welwyn G C B team and again won on both rinks. The overall score was Harpenden 55-22.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
In the National Top Club, Harpenden men’s B squad played Shire Park. The two wood singles was won by John Williams by two shots. The fours won 27-11, but the triples, four wood singles and pairs lost, giving the game to Shire Park 3-2.
The ladies Top Club played on Sunday but lost to Potters bar 3-1. The fours - Lucy Ratcliffe, Jennie Redford, Jean Dill and Val Thomson – were the only winners.
In the London and Southern Counties Shield on four rinks Harpenden lost on three rinks to Herts and by 82 shots to 62.