Bowls: Third straight Tripartite Trophy for Townsend
- Credit: Archant
Townsend Bowls Club has retained the Tripartite Trophy for a third successive year.
The annual competition, which started 15 years ago, pits Townsend up against Mill Hill and Cockfosters – all three clubs were founded in 1919.
Cockfosters hosted the trophy this year and after the first game they were in a two-way tussle for the lead with Townsend.
Gradually, though, the Townsend rinks edged ahead and built on their lead, eventually winning with 102 shots, ahead of Cockfosters’ 75 and Mill Hill’s 40.
The midweek friendly against Hemel Hempstead, Townsend won 77-60. The top rink was Richard Morgan, Alan Tucker, Les Perkins and Peter Thomson, who won 25-6.
You may also want to watch:
Hatfield edged Townsend in the three fours by one shot, which they picked up with the last wood of the match.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant