Bowls: Third straight Tripartite Trophy for Townsend
- Credit: Archant
Townsend Bowls Club has retained the Tripartite Trophy for a third successive year.
The annual competition, which started 15 years ago, pits Townsend up against Mill Hill and Cockfosters – all three clubs were founded in 1919.
Cockfosters hosted the trophy this year and after the first game they were in a two-way tussle for the lead with Townsend.
Gradually, though, the Townsend rinks edged ahead and built on their lead, eventually winning with 102 shots, ahead of Cockfosters’ 75 and Mill Hill’s 40.
The midweek friendly against Hemel Hempstead, Townsend won 77-60. The top rink was Richard Morgan, Alan Tucker, Les Perkins and Peter Thomson, who won 25-6.
You may also want to watch:
Hatfield edged Townsend in the three fours by one shot, which they picked up with the last wood of the match.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 6 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 7 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 8 A New York state of mind
- 9 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 10 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity