Bowls: St Albans win Maurice Watson Trophy
The St Albans Bowling Club beat Hemel Hempstead to win the Maurice Watson Trophy.
The trophy was donated by the family of a past president of the St Albans and District Bowling Association. The Competition has taken several formats over the years but currently teams of four participate from member clubs and a draw takes place on the day to decide which clubs play each other. The team with the highest winning difference wins.
The St Albans team of Alan Turner, John Cooper, Andy Kay and John Bartlett were the winning team this year. They beat a John Tierney skipped team 30-12.
In the County Fours Competition Pauline Gardiner, Barbara Davis, Eileen Englebright and Tricia Gascoine beat Welwyn Garden City 28-11.
The midweek men played Hatfield in the District League on Wednesday. Although St Albans only lost the match by five shots, 83-78, they lost on three of the four rinks. The top rink was Oliver Wall, Colin Smith, Neville Simons and Tony Rylands.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans lost to Welwyn & District Bowls Club in the County Club Championship by 78 shots to 37 before beating Hemel 98-80.
- 1 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 2 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 3 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 4 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge