Bowls round-up: Townsend duo celebrate big win in County Pairs
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Townsend Bowls Club pair Alan Charran and Matt Pope are celebrating after reaching the county semi-finals.
They beat Bishop's Stortford 21-6 but Jane Dixon's run in the County Singles came to an end against opposition from Royston.
She had better luck when she teamed with Charron, Rena Williamson and Peter Thomson in the second round of the district's Stockman-Winser mixed fours. Townsend won through against Potters Bar 22-11.
They beat Harpenden 42-19 in the London & Southern Counties Shield while there was a very impressive debut for Brian Pigott in a friendly win over Redbourn.
St Albans meanwhile had ups and downs in district and county competitions.
Bob Pomeroy and J Harvey lost 30-6 in the District Men's Pairs but John Bartlett and Steve Wilson had better luck beating North Mymms 19-6.
Sue Fogerty and Alison Thomas went through in the County Pairs but Phil MacArthur lost 21-15 in the district's Champion of Champions singles event to Mike Poole of Welwyn & District.
- 1 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 2 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 3 St Albans District pupils power to success in the pool
- 4 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 5 Club night revival in St Albans
- 6 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 7 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 8 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 9 Bahá’ís bring bench to St Albans parkland
- 10 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
A quiet week at Batchwood saw the men win a friendly against Hemel Hempstead 66-44 with Jim Gibb, Len Pearce and Charlie Bowie the top rink.