Bowls round-up: Townsend duo celebrate big win in County Pairs
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Townsend Bowls Club pair Alan Charran and Matt Pope are celebrating after reaching the county semi-finals.
They beat Bishop's Stortford 21-6 but Jane Dixon's run in the County Singles came to an end against opposition from Royston.
She had better luck when she teamed with Charron, Rena Williamson and Peter Thomson in the second round of the district's Stockman-Winser mixed fours. Townsend won through against Potters Bar 22-11.
They beat Harpenden 42-19 in the London & Southern Counties Shield while there was a very impressive debut for Brian Pigott in a friendly win over Redbourn.
St Albans meanwhile had ups and downs in district and county competitions.
Bob Pomeroy and J Harvey lost 30-6 in the District Men's Pairs but John Bartlett and Steve Wilson had better luck beating North Mymms 19-6.
Sue Fogerty and Alison Thomas went through in the County Pairs but Phil MacArthur lost 21-15 in the district's Champion of Champions singles event to Mike Poole of Welwyn & District.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
A quiet week at Batchwood saw the men win a friendly against Hemel Hempstead 66-44 with Jim Gibb, Len Pearce and Charlie Bowie the top rink.