Bowls round-up: Townsend duo celebrate big win in County Pairs
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Townsend Bowls Club pair Alan Charran and Matt Pope are celebrating after reaching the county semi-finals.
They beat Bishop's Stortford 21-6 but Jane Dixon's run in the County Singles came to an end against opposition from Royston.
She had better luck when she teamed with Charron, Rena Williamson and Peter Thomson in the second round of the district's Stockman-Winser mixed fours. Townsend won through against Potters Bar 22-11.
They beat Harpenden 42-19 in the London & Southern Counties Shield while there was a very impressive debut for Brian Pigott in a friendly win over Redbourn.
St Albans meanwhile had ups and downs in district and county competitions.
Bob Pomeroy and J Harvey lost 30-6 in the District Men's Pairs but John Bartlett and Steve Wilson had better luck beating North Mymms 19-6.
Sue Fogerty and Alison Thomas went through in the County Pairs but Phil MacArthur lost 21-15 in the district's Champion of Champions singles event to Mike Poole of Welwyn & District.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
A quiet week at Batchwood saw the men win a friendly against Hemel Hempstead 66-44 with Jim Gibb, Len Pearce and Charlie Bowie the top rink.