Townsend Bowls Club advance to last four of the Bob Vise Trophy
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Townsend Bowls Club got their competitive week off to a superb start with a big win in the Bob Vise Trophy.
Playing away at Hatfield, they won each of the four disciplines to advance to the semi-final where they will now play Welwyn & District.
A midweek derby against St Albans was capped after 15 ends. because of the heat, Townsend ahead on rinks, winning three of the five, but behind on shots.
The pair did play to a finish in the Friday Triples League, the overall result a five-shot victory for St Albans.
There was a fantastic win though for Townsend's Peter Thomson and Alan Charran in the second round of the District Pairs.
They trailed to Welwyn Garden City 18-7 at halfway but fought back to clinch a 27-23 win.
Batchwood's week started with a narrow 30-29 defeat in the Men's Vets League away to Herts, but it got better after Lesley Tutt beat Tricia Gascoine 21-15 in the Women's District Singles and then better again when the ladies beat Townsend 52-22 in the Friday Triples League.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
The Harpenden team of Neil Sharp, John Osborn, Nick Muir and Tom Muir are through to both the County Fours final and the National Championship at Leamington Spa.