Bowls round-up: Superb comeback win for Townsend plus victories for Townsend too
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Townsend's men produced a stunning comeback to reach the last 16 of the County Fours,.
Mike Doherty, Bob Lawrie, Peter Thomson and Alan Charran found themselves in trouble at the halfway stage of their game at Welwyn & District, trailing 9-1.
It could have been considerably worse too with accuracy deserting the Townsend quartet but the eighth end saw a five-shot swing back to the visitors who then outscored their hosts to claim a 15-12 win.
They will play Royston in the next round.
Townsend also won 72-60 at Shire Park, the top rink that of Alan Tucker, Jean Marriott and Mike Cowell.
Batchwood had a couple of decent victories too.
The men beat Berkhamsted 49-24 in the Watford Vets League while Brian Parkes advanced in the County Unbadged Singles with a 21-17 success over Roy Avery of Welwyn Garden City.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 4 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 5 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 9 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 10 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
Lesley Tutt is also through to the semi-final of the Two Wood Singles after a 19-14 victory over Alison Hall of Hatfield.
The semis will be played at Welwyn & District on July 21.