Bowls round-up: Townsend's busy week includes one game by royal appointment
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Townsend had another busy week of bowling at both individual and club level - including a game by royal appointment.
One of the highlights of their centenary season was a match at Windsor against the Royal Household, who enjoyed it so much they asked for a return fixture.
The match was played in brilliant sunshine and the day deemed a great success by all.
The result was secondary to the occasion but the record books show Townsend winning three rinks to one.
In the county pairs, Alan Charran and Matt Pope lost by a shot to Buntingford in the semi-final but Charron, together with Mike Doherty Bob Lawrie, and Peter Thomson did win in the county fours by the same margin against Welwyn Garden City.
Townsend also beat North Mymms in the County League.
Batchwood meanwhile won a mixed game at Harperbury 72-50, the top rink that of John Bell, Beryl Birch and George Tutt, while the team of Jackie Bell, Lesley Tutt and Marilyn Grover also beat Potters Bar in a district triples.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests