Bowls round-up: Batchwood and Townsend enjoy county successes
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Batchwood enjoyed a decent week as matches came thick and fast.
Jim Gibb, Mark Trembling, Len Pearce and Charlie Bowie were the top rink as the men won 36-31 in a County League match.
In the County Unbadged Singles Brian Parkes beat Martin Duke of Redbourn 21-8 and he also enjoyed a 21-19 victory over Tony Redford of Harpenden.
Lesley Tutt played Anne O'Hare of Welwyn Garden City in a National Senior Singles match and won 21-5 before joining forces with Jackie Bell to beat Hertford Castle's Pauline Scholey and Wendy Butt 20-10 in the County Pairs quarter-finals.
The ladies hosted Potters Bar over two rinks, winning overall 35-29.
Townsend too were involved in county competitions.
Jane Dixon won 21-12 in the last 16 of the County Singles, winning convincingly against very experienced opposition from Bushey, while in the County League, Hatfield secured victory despite each club taking one rink each.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 7 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 8 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 9 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 10 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
The winning Townsend rink comprised Mike Doherty, Bob Padget, Peter Thomson and Alan Charran.
It was almost a similar outcome with the ladies' game against Hatfield although this time Townsend edged it 30-27 thanks to the trio of Bernadette Martindill, Sandra White and Dixon.