Bowls round-up: Batchwood and Townsend enjoy county successes
- Credit: DAVID DAVIES/PA
Batchwood enjoyed a decent week as matches came thick and fast.
Jim Gibb, Mark Trembling, Len Pearce and Charlie Bowie were the top rink as the men won 36-31 in a County League match.
In the County Unbadged Singles Brian Parkes beat Martin Duke of Redbourn 21-8 and he also enjoyed a 21-19 victory over Tony Redford of Harpenden.
Lesley Tutt played Anne O'Hare of Welwyn Garden City in a National Senior Singles match and won 21-5 before joining forces with Jackie Bell to beat Hertford Castle's Pauline Scholey and Wendy Butt 20-10 in the County Pairs quarter-finals.
The ladies hosted Potters Bar over two rinks, winning overall 35-29.
Townsend too were involved in county competitions.
Jane Dixon won 21-12 in the last 16 of the County Singles, winning convincingly against very experienced opposition from Bushey, while in the County League, Hatfield secured victory despite each club taking one rink each.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 5 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 6 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 8 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
The winning Townsend rink comprised Mike Doherty, Bob Padget, Peter Thomson and Alan Charran.
It was almost a similar outcome with the ladies' game against Hatfield although this time Townsend edged it 30-27 thanks to the trio of Bernadette Martindill, Sandra White and Dixon.