Bowls: National mixed fours triumph for Harpenden
In the first round of the National Over 60s Mixed Fours, Harpenden B beat Hertford Castle 17-11.
The team of Linda Newby, Rob Newby, Janet Hubball and Tony Redford scored three shots on the first end and maintained their lead throughout.
The other four of Dena Roberts, John Williams, Linda Brooks and David Brooks stormed ahead from the start and were 19-2 up after 10 ends. However, Herford came back to draw, but Harpenden won the game on aggregate.
The other Harpenden team in this competition also won, away at Rosedale. The rink with Bob Howell, Lorna Thomson, Beryl Birch and Colin Driscoll went down by just one shot, but the other rink, of Debbie Turner, Avery Hills, Noel Roberts and John Millins, won 27-13.
In the National Senior Men’s Singles Tony Redford won 21-13 against Kevin Hull at Hatfield, while in the London & Southern Counties triples, Noel Roberts, Ken Murray, Tony Redford lost 15-13 Barton-le-Clay.
You may also want to watch:
The team of Val Thomson, Viv Dale, Pauline Taylor & Val Christiaans beat Batchwood 26-18 in the first game of the Ladies County League.
In the friendly match away at Shire Park, Harpenden won on one rink, drew on another and lost the rest. The overall score was 102-67 to Shire Park.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues