Bowls: National mixed fours triumph for Harpenden
In the first round of the National Over 60s Mixed Fours, Harpenden B beat Hertford Castle 17-11.
The team of Linda Newby, Rob Newby, Janet Hubball and Tony Redford scored three shots on the first end and maintained their lead throughout.
The other four of Dena Roberts, John Williams, Linda Brooks and David Brooks stormed ahead from the start and were 19-2 up after 10 ends. However, Herford came back to draw, but Harpenden won the game on aggregate.
The other Harpenden team in this competition also won, away at Rosedale. The rink with Bob Howell, Lorna Thomson, Beryl Birch and Colin Driscoll went down by just one shot, but the other rink, of Debbie Turner, Avery Hills, Noel Roberts and John Millins, won 27-13.
In the National Senior Men’s Singles Tony Redford won 21-13 against Kevin Hull at Hatfield, while in the London & Southern Counties triples, Noel Roberts, Ken Murray, Tony Redford lost 15-13 Barton-le-Clay.
You may also want to watch:
The team of Val Thomson, Viv Dale, Pauline Taylor & Val Christiaans beat Batchwood 26-18 in the first game of the Ladies County League.
In the friendly match away at Shire Park, Harpenden won on one rink, drew on another and lost the rest. The overall score was 102-67 to Shire Park.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden