Bowlers lead Redbourn to victory
Saracens Herts League Division 3 Redbourn 76-2 beat Sawbridgeworth II 75 by 8 wickets REDBOURN stormed to a third successive league victory in their Division Three clash with Sawbridgeworth II on Saturday afternoon. Redbourn won the toss and chose to fie
Saracens Herts League Division 3
Redbourn 76-2 beat Sawbridgeworth II 75 by 8 wickets
REDBOURN stormed to a third successive league victory in their Division Three clash with Sawbridgeworth II on Saturday afternoon.
Redbourn won the toss and chose to field on a wicket that they felt would help the bowlers.
You may also want to watch:
They got off to a perfect start with both Ahmed Jamal and Jon Fleming taking wickets in their first overs before a run was on the board.
Jamal kept the pressure on bowling accurately at a brisk pace and was rewarded with two more quick wickets before a double wicket maiden from Fleming left Sawbridgeworth in all sorts of trouble on 16-6.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
An attacking innings from Marshall (50) briefly threatened to get Sawbridgeworth back into the game but further wickets from Jamal (4-32), Fleming (4-30) and one apiece from Darren Bassill and Chris Godfrey left them all out for 75 in 23 overs.
Redbourn's reply got off to a good start with openers Simon Osman and Chris Yorath hitting boundaries early on before both being out lbw.
It was then left to skipper Dan Roe and Geoff Tookey to see them home in just 13 overs.
Roe looked in particularly good touch as he hit six boundaries in his 32no.
After the game Roe commented: "Whilst I think we will have tougher tests over the season, we thoroughly deserved our win today.
"Jamal and Jon continue to knock sides over and our fielding is beginning to improve, with Geoff Tookey and Toby Ascroft putting in good shifts today.
"We must continue to work hard, improve and not just turn up and expect it to happen.