Bowlers deliver for St Albans
Division One St Albans 113-10 (46.3) St Margaretsbury 103-10 (47.2) ST Albans delivered a fine bowling performance to win a thrilling game in tough conditions at St Margaretsbury on Saturday. The Saints lost the toss and were asked to bat on a wet pitch
St Albans 113-10 (46.3) St Margaretsbury 103-10 (47.2)
ST Albans delivered a fine bowling performance to win a thrilling game in tough conditions at St Margaretsbury on Saturday.
The Saints lost the toss and were asked to bat on a wet pitch where the covers had leaked. It was a disappointing performance with the bat with only Yasir Arafat (38) and Ed Hart (26) making real contributions to a low total of 113 all out.
In reply, St Margaretsbury lost an opener with their first delivery and were prevented from scoring with good bowling from both ends. Once the second wicket partnership was broken, wickets fell at regular intervals. Impressive duo Jimmy Goodwin and Afroz Khan took four wickets apiece. They were well supported by some good fielding from all and, in a dramatic improvement from last week, St Albans held their catches.
St Margaretsbury were dismissed for just 103 runs from 47.2 overs. It was an exciting game of cricket and for Saints a well earned 30 points in the second half of the game.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 10 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
Michael Goodfellow top scored for St Albans II against Sawbridgeworth II in Division Three on Saturday at Clarence Park.
The Saints won the toss and chose to bat first. Openers Jai Mukherjee (20) and Simon Galloway (11) were dismissed before Goodfellow (47) and Ed Lowe (26) made vital contributions. Number seven Waheed Ahmed (33) took the Saints to 183-9 off 53 overs.
In reply, Sawbo were restricted to 140-6 off 47 overs as they settled for a draw. Shaun Wischnowsky, Simon Galloway and Waheed Ahmed each claimed two wickets for Saints.