Bowlers deliver for St Albans
Division One St Albans 113-10 (46.3) St Margaretsbury 103-10 (47.2) ST Albans delivered a fine bowling performance to win a thrilling game in tough conditions at St Margaretsbury on Saturday. The Saints lost the toss and were asked to bat on a wet pitch
St Albans 113-10 (46.3) St Margaretsbury 103-10 (47.2)
ST Albans delivered a fine bowling performance to win a thrilling game in tough conditions at St Margaretsbury on Saturday.
The Saints lost the toss and were asked to bat on a wet pitch where the covers had leaked. It was a disappointing performance with the bat with only Yasir Arafat (38) and Ed Hart (26) making real contributions to a low total of 113 all out.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, St Margaretsbury lost an opener with their first delivery and were prevented from scoring with good bowling from both ends. Once the second wicket partnership was broken, wickets fell at regular intervals. Impressive duo Jimmy Goodwin and Afroz Khan took four wickets apiece. They were well supported by some good fielding from all and, in a dramatic improvement from last week, St Albans held their catches.
St Margaretsbury were dismissed for just 103 runs from 47.2 overs. It was an exciting game of cricket and for Saints a well earned 30 points in the second half of the game.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
Michael Goodfellow top scored for St Albans II against Sawbridgeworth II in Division Three on Saturday at Clarence Park.
The Saints won the toss and chose to bat first. Openers Jai Mukherjee (20) and Simon Galloway (11) were dismissed before Goodfellow (47) and Ed Lowe (26) made vital contributions. Number seven Waheed Ahmed (33) took the Saints to 183-9 off 53 overs.
In reply, Sawbo were restricted to 140-6 off 47 overs as they settled for a draw. Shaun Wischnowsky, Simon Galloway and Waheed Ahmed each claimed two wickets for Saints.