Bonus points could still prove vital as victory is snatched from St Albans’ grasp by Stevenage Town
- Credit: Archant
St Albans saw what would have been a huge victory in their battle to beat the drop from London North West Three snatched away from them by Stevenage Town inside the last 10 minutes.
The 26-22 reverse leaves them four points above the drop zone, with Cheshunt below them having a game in hand, although the two bonus points secured at North Road could yet prove crucial.
Saints made high-flying Town fight all the way and after conceding the opening try, Brent Lemiere scored their first and Adam Jasinski put them in front.
Things switched round again by half-time as Town scored two more tries, one converted,
But George Elliott scored and converted a try to drag Saints to within two points and when Jasinski ran in an interception for the fourth try, victory was in sight.
You may also want to watch:
It was not to be though and St Albans destiny could now rest on their last game of the season, away to rivals Cheshunt on April 14.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital