Bonus-point Christmas present for Vees
- Credit: Archant
David Coyle took his try tally to seven in two weeks as his hat-trick helped Verulamians earn a 31-12 victory over Barnet in Herts/Middlesex 1.
The win, Vees’ fifth in a row, moved the Cotlandswick-based outfit up to fifth in the league ahead of the winter break.
Extended the winning streak never really looked in doubt, despite falling 12-0 behind, as the forwards dominated play and pinned Barnet deep in their own territory. Coyle, continuing his aggressive running with ball in hand, took advantage with three tries to give Vees a 24-12 lead.
Vees, due to injury, were also unable to field their normal set of backs but Gareth Walters and Sam Townsend, the player coach, who came on for another cameo performance, enabled the ball to move quickly and attack Barnet’s defensive line.
Their unselfish play in the end paid dividends with fleet-footed left winger George Irwin scything through Barnet to glide in under the posts for the bonus-point try to produce a fitting end to a great pre–Christmas performance.
You may also want to watch:
• The 2nds beat Old Albanian 4ths 68-20. The try-scorers were Levi (five), Hilton (three), Grimmer (two), Monaghan and Neary. Captain Sam Richmond added two conversions.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden