Bonus-point Christmas present for Vees
- Credit: Archant
David Coyle took his try tally to seven in two weeks as his hat-trick helped Verulamians earn a 31-12 victory over Barnet in Herts/Middlesex 1.
The win, Vees’ fifth in a row, moved the Cotlandswick-based outfit up to fifth in the league ahead of the winter break.
Extended the winning streak never really looked in doubt, despite falling 12-0 behind, as the forwards dominated play and pinned Barnet deep in their own territory. Coyle, continuing his aggressive running with ball in hand, took advantage with three tries to give Vees a 24-12 lead.
Vees, due to injury, were also unable to field their normal set of backs but Gareth Walters and Sam Townsend, the player coach, who came on for another cameo performance, enabled the ball to move quickly and attack Barnet’s defensive line.
Their unselfish play in the end paid dividends with fleet-footed left winger George Irwin scything through Barnet to glide in under the posts for the bonus-point try to produce a fitting end to a great pre–Christmas performance.
You may also want to watch:
• The 2nds beat Old Albanian 4ths 68-20. The try-scorers were Levi (five), Hilton (three), Grimmer (two), Monaghan and Neary. Captain Sam Richmond added two conversions.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public