Bonus-point Christmas present for Vees
- Credit: Archant
David Coyle took his try tally to seven in two weeks as his hat-trick helped Verulamians earn a 31-12 victory over Barnet in Herts/Middlesex 1.
The win, Vees’ fifth in a row, moved the Cotlandswick-based outfit up to fifth in the league ahead of the winter break.
Extended the winning streak never really looked in doubt, despite falling 12-0 behind, as the forwards dominated play and pinned Barnet deep in their own territory. Coyle, continuing his aggressive running with ball in hand, took advantage with three tries to give Vees a 24-12 lead.
Vees, due to injury, were also unable to field their normal set of backs but Gareth Walters and Sam Townsend, the player coach, who came on for another cameo performance, enabled the ball to move quickly and attack Barnet’s defensive line.
Their unselfish play in the end paid dividends with fleet-footed left winger George Irwin scything through Barnet to glide in under the posts for the bonus-point try to produce a fitting end to a great pre–Christmas performance.
• The 2nds beat Old Albanian 4ths 68-20. The try-scorers were Levi (five), Hilton (three), Grimmer (two), Monaghan and Neary. Captain Sam Richmond added two conversions.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead