Blyth comes to Saints' rescue
HSCL Division One Whitwell AFC 2 St Peter s 2 ST PETER S failed to add to their recent run of victories when held to a draw at second-placed Whitwell. Like the Saints, Whitwell have enjoyed a good run of results of late and they got off to a flying start
HSCL Division One
Whitwell AFC 2 St Peter's 2
ST PETER'S failed to add to their recent run of victories when held to a draw at second-placed Whitwell.
Like the Saints, Whitwell have enjoyed a good run of results of late and they got off to a flying start when they were presented with a simple headed goal inside five minutes.
It was the first time the Saints had to come from behind for a considerable time and it tested their character and endeavour.
The visitors lost Matt Hatchett before the break with an ankle injury and they had skipper Tony Gauthier to thank for bailing them out on a couple of occasions.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 5 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 8 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
- 10 St Albans Scout leaders heading to Korean Jamboree
However he was helpless to stop Whitwell extending their lead midway through the second half.
The Saints came battling back and reduced the deficit within minutes thanks to Danny Blyth's well placed shot.
The visitors completed a remarkable comeback when Blyth grabbed his second goal of the game with a superb volley from 20 yards out.
In the dying minutes Nathan Sandiford thought he'd won the game but his volley was somehow kept out by the Whitwell goalkeeper.
Next weekend the Saints, who are seventh in the league, welcome Codicote Reserves to Lemsford in Round Two of the Herts Intermediate Cup with kick off at 1.30pm.
St Peter's: Barnes; T Gauthier, Wiltshire, Jones; Eames, Blyth, M Hatchett, Mardle, Sandiford; Lee, Ellis.