Blyth comes to Saints' rescue
HSCL Division One Whitwell AFC 2 St Peter s 2 ST PETER S failed to add to their recent run of victories when held to a draw at second-placed Whitwell. Like the Saints, Whitwell have enjoyed a good run of results of late and they got off to a flying start
HSCL Division One
Whitwell AFC 2 St Peter's 2
ST PETER'S failed to add to their recent run of victories when held to a draw at second-placed Whitwell.
Like the Saints, Whitwell have enjoyed a good run of results of late and they got off to a flying start when they were presented with a simple headed goal inside five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
It was the first time the Saints had to come from behind for a considerable time and it tested their character and endeavour.
The visitors lost Matt Hatchett before the break with an ankle injury and they had skipper Tony Gauthier to thank for bailing them out on a couple of occasions.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
However he was helpless to stop Whitwell extending their lead midway through the second half.
The Saints came battling back and reduced the deficit within minutes thanks to Danny Blyth's well placed shot.
The visitors completed a remarkable comeback when Blyth grabbed his second goal of the game with a superb volley from 20 yards out.
In the dying minutes Nathan Sandiford thought he'd won the game but his volley was somehow kept out by the Whitwell goalkeeper.
Next weekend the Saints, who are seventh in the league, welcome Codicote Reserves to Lemsford in Round Two of the Herts Intermediate Cup with kick off at 1.30pm.
St Peter's: Barnes; T Gauthier, Wiltshire, Jones; Eames, Blyth, M Hatchett, Mardle, Sandiford; Lee, Ellis.