Blyth comes to Saints' rescue
HSCL Division One Whitwell AFC 2 St Peter s 2 ST PETER S failed to add to their recent run of victories when held to a draw at second-placed Whitwell. Like the Saints, Whitwell have enjoyed a good run of results of late and they got off to a flying start
HSCL Division One
Whitwell AFC 2 St Peter's 2
ST PETER'S failed to add to their recent run of victories when held to a draw at second-placed Whitwell.
Like the Saints, Whitwell have enjoyed a good run of results of late and they got off to a flying start when they were presented with a simple headed goal inside five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
It was the first time the Saints had to come from behind for a considerable time and it tested their character and endeavour.
The visitors lost Matt Hatchett before the break with an ankle injury and they had skipper Tony Gauthier to thank for bailing them out on a couple of occasions.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
However he was helpless to stop Whitwell extending their lead midway through the second half.
The Saints came battling back and reduced the deficit within minutes thanks to Danny Blyth's well placed shot.
The visitors completed a remarkable comeback when Blyth grabbed his second goal of the game with a superb volley from 20 yards out.
In the dying minutes Nathan Sandiford thought he'd won the game but his volley was somehow kept out by the Whitwell goalkeeper.
Next weekend the Saints, who are seventh in the league, welcome Codicote Reserves to Lemsford in Round Two of the Herts Intermediate Cup with kick off at 1.30pm.
St Peter's: Barnes; T Gauthier, Wiltshire, Jones; Eames, Blyth, M Hatchett, Mardle, Sandiford; Lee, Ellis.