Bluesboys do the double over Langley
SSML Division One
London Colney 2 Kings Langley 1
LONDON Colney ended their SSML Division One league campaign by doing the double over Kings Langley.
The Blueboys’ goal lived a charmed life as the visitors hit the woodwork four times but despite those close calls Colney held out to record their second league win over their opponents this season.
Lewis Toomey and Dan Tomkins both went close for the visitors while Greg Shaw headed over for Colney.
You may also want to watch:
The deadlock was broken 26 minutes in when a defender’s attempted clearance from Trevor Stevens’ right wing cross hit Ricky Perks and nestled in the back of the net.
Langley looked to hit back and Tomkins fierce strike came back off the left hand post. The equaliser came eight minutes before the interval when Toomey went on a fine solo run before chipping the ball over the advancing Mark Whittamore.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
Tomkins’ luck was clearly out as he saw another effort come back off post while Toomey saw his curling strike smash the top of the bar.
Mitchell replaced the injured Perks at half time and the replacement missed a glorious chance to restore Colney’s lead but he shot wide of the target.
Whittamore denied Toomey pushing his point blank header onto the post before Colney struck the winner 16 minutes from time. Mitchell’s cross was cut out by Luke Ladyman but the ball fell to Danny Fitzgerald who sent the ball underneath the despairing dive of Simon Ryder.
Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Paradise, Murphy, Dickie, Jowle, Shaw (Wilkinson), Perks (Mitchell), Stevens, Fitzgerald.