Blueboys’ winning run extended
SSML Division One
New Bradwell St Peter 1
London Colney 2
LONDON Colney extended their winning sequence to five games with victory at New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday.
The Blueboys made a great start to proceedings taking the lead in the eighth minute when Matt Newman pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the area and fired it low past Ben Donaldson in the Saints’ goal.
Trevor Stevens came within the width of the post away from doubling the Blueboys’ advantage but Ryan Thompson didn’t have long to wait to see his side make it 2-0.
With just 15 minutes on the clock Bruce Hutchinson received the ball just inside the penalty area and he smashed the ball past Donaldson to net his first goal in Colney colours.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
Colney’s two goal advantage lasted 10 minutes when a quick free kick caught the Blueboys napping and Shaun Carr was on hand to tap home Dom Marsala’s cross.
The goals dried up at the point, although Danny Fitzgerald saw a second half effort tipped around the post, but two minutes from time the hosts were awarded a penalty when John Butler tripped Ross Tone in the box. Ben Hill stepped up to take the penalty but he blazed his effort over the bat giving the Blueboys all the points.
Colney: Whittamore; Thompson, Butler, Saul, Paradise, Sutton, Hutchinson (M Day), Stevens, Newman, Clarke (Fitzgerald), Knightly (Butcher). Sub not used: C Day.
* Last Wednesday the Blueboys won 3-2 at Crawley Green thanks to goals from Trevor Stevens, Jimmy Warner and Matt Newman.
* The Reserves lost 3-2 to Hadley with Matt Hudson netting both goals. London Colney Blues lost 8-0 to Whitwell while the Blues Reserves lost 4-3 to Knebworth. Anthony Jenkins, Dan Neville and Craig Iinney scored.