Blueboys’ winning run extended
SSML Division One
New Bradwell St Peter 1
London Colney 2
LONDON Colney extended their winning sequence to five games with victory at New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday.
The Blueboys made a great start to proceedings taking the lead in the eighth minute when Matt Newman pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the area and fired it low past Ben Donaldson in the Saints’ goal.
You may also want to watch:
Trevor Stevens came within the width of the post away from doubling the Blueboys’ advantage but Ryan Thompson didn’t have long to wait to see his side make it 2-0.
With just 15 minutes on the clock Bruce Hutchinson received the ball just inside the penalty area and he smashed the ball past Donaldson to net his first goal in Colney colours.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
Colney’s two goal advantage lasted 10 minutes when a quick free kick caught the Blueboys napping and Shaun Carr was on hand to tap home Dom Marsala’s cross.
The goals dried up at the point, although Danny Fitzgerald saw a second half effort tipped around the post, but two minutes from time the hosts were awarded a penalty when John Butler tripped Ross Tone in the box. Ben Hill stepped up to take the penalty but he blazed his effort over the bat giving the Blueboys all the points.
Colney: Whittamore; Thompson, Butler, Saul, Paradise, Sutton, Hutchinson (M Day), Stevens, Newman, Clarke (Fitzgerald), Knightly (Butcher). Sub not used: C Day.
* Last Wednesday the Blueboys won 3-2 at Crawley Green thanks to goals from Trevor Stevens, Jimmy Warner and Matt Newman.
* The Reserves lost 3-2 to Hadley with Matt Hudson netting both goals. London Colney Blues lost 8-0 to Whitwell while the Blues Reserves lost 4-3 to Knebworth. Anthony Jenkins, Dan Neville and Craig Iinney scored.