Blueboys thrash Met Police to seal final spot

Ryan Thompson guides London Colney to Senior Centenary Trophy

Herts Senior Centenary Trophy

Met Police Bushey 0 London Colney 7

LONDON Colney cruised into the final of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy after demolishing Met Police Bushey on Saturday.

Ryan Thompson’s side started well on an immaculate playing surface with Matt Newman pouncing on a poor back pass from Gary Nicholson only to see his effort blocked by goalkeeper Gary White’s legs.

A surging run from Newman down the right hand side ended with the former Park Street forward forcing White into a smart save low down whilst at the other end Dan Llewellyn went close with a low drive.

Met Police managed to keep the Blueboys at bay for 27 minutes but as soon as Newman forced a mistake from White to stab home the opening goal the floodgates opened.

Most Read

White atoned for his part in the opening goal when he saved Jimmy Warner’s spot kick following a foul on Newman but the Blueboys were able to take the comfort of a two goal cushion into the interval when Newman squared the ball for Trevor Stevens to fire home.

The second half was only 60 seconds old when Colney grabbed goal number three, Newman cutting out a square pass and freeing Matt Sutton. He found Warner who picked out Craig Knightley with a delightful cross that the midfielder headed home.

Paul Boateng headed against the bar as Met Police enjoyed a rare attack while at the other end Mark Paradise saw an effort deflected just wide.

It was not long before Colney racked up goal number four courtesy of John Butler’s low drive from the edge of the area.

Met Police were denied by the woodwork for a second time when Gavin Chatterpaul saw his strike rattle against the crossbar before being cleared to safety by the Blueboys defence.

Knightley then grabbed his second of the contest to make it 5-0 to the visitors, smashing home after Met Police had been caught cold at the back by a quick throw-in.

There was no let up in the intensity from London Colney and they were rewarded with a sixth goal when Butler played a short corner to Kenny Hull and the defender crossed superbly for Sutton to convert.

The Blueboys completed a fine afternoon’s work with goal number seven late on when substitute Andy Murphy pounced on a mistake by Rob Courtnage and rounded White before sliding the ball into the unguarded net.

London Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton, Knightley, Stevens (Hutchinson), Newman (S Murphy), Warner (A Murphy), Butler.

London Colney Reserves beat Old Parmiterians 3-2 with goals from Eremo Beks, James Pegrum and Ricky Farmer.