Blueboys see off Cockfosters
Spartan South Midlands Division One London Colney 2 Cockfosters 0 GOALS from Danny Fitzgerald and Russell Gallagher helped London Colney gain three points against Cockfosters and get their promotion bid back on track. Frankie Jowle as always was a threat
Spartan South Midlands Division One
London Colney 2 Cockfosters 0
GOALS from Danny Fitzgerald and Russell Gallagher helped London Colney gain three points against Cockfosters and get their promotion bid back on track.
Frankie Jowle as always was a threat down the right delivering dangerous balls into the box, one of which former Colney Heath goalkeeper Paul Daley was forced to punch off of Paul Danslow's head.
David Parkinson also played in a good ball that Wesley Ewing failed to deal with and although Fitzgerald was able to pounce on the loose ball his shot was off target.
Although the Blueboys had the most of the play, chances were few and far between.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
A mazy run by Jowle saw him pass three Cockfosters' defenders only for Matt Brown to get a block in as the Colney winger was poised to shoot.
Early in the second half both Parkinson and Fitzgerald fired wide before Josh Humbert saw his header flash inches past Daley's upright.
The deadlock was finally broken on 61 minutes thanks to a goal from Fitzgerald. Parkinson's pass found Fitzgerald on the edge of the area and with his second touch, the midfielder drove the ball into the back of the net.
Substitute Rob Magwood saw his curling free kick rebound off the bar with Shaun Murphy failing to get a touch to knock the rebound over the line.
The hosts grabbed the second goal their domination deserved in injury time.
Magwood played in Gallagher who cut in from the left and hit a beautiful curling shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.
London Colney: Hill; Benning, Corran, Murphy, Paradise, Humbert, Jowle (Magwood), Simmonds, Parkinson, Danslow (Gallagher), Fitzgerald. Unused subs: Armstrong, Dickie, Whittamore.