Blueboys see off Cockfosters
Spartan South Midlands Division One London Colney 2 Cockfosters 0 GOALS from Danny Fitzgerald and Russell Gallagher helped London Colney gain three points against Cockfosters and get their promotion bid back on track. Frankie Jowle as always was a threat
Spartan South Midlands Division One
London Colney 2 Cockfosters 0
GOALS from Danny Fitzgerald and Russell Gallagher helped London Colney gain three points against Cockfosters and get their promotion bid back on track.
Frankie Jowle as always was a threat down the right delivering dangerous balls into the box, one of which former Colney Heath goalkeeper Paul Daley was forced to punch off of Paul Danslow's head.
You may also want to watch:
David Parkinson also played in a good ball that Wesley Ewing failed to deal with and although Fitzgerald was able to pounce on the loose ball his shot was off target.
Although the Blueboys had the most of the play, chances were few and far between.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 10 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
A mazy run by Jowle saw him pass three Cockfosters' defenders only for Matt Brown to get a block in as the Colney winger was poised to shoot.
Early in the second half both Parkinson and Fitzgerald fired wide before Josh Humbert saw his header flash inches past Daley's upright.
The deadlock was finally broken on 61 minutes thanks to a goal from Fitzgerald. Parkinson's pass found Fitzgerald on the edge of the area and with his second touch, the midfielder drove the ball into the back of the net.
Substitute Rob Magwood saw his curling free kick rebound off the bar with Shaun Murphy failing to get a touch to knock the rebound over the line.
The hosts grabbed the second goal their domination deserved in injury time.
Magwood played in Gallagher who cut in from the left and hit a beautiful curling shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.
London Colney: Hill; Benning, Corran, Murphy, Paradise, Humbert, Jowle (Magwood), Simmonds, Parkinson, Danslow (Gallagher), Fitzgerald. Unused subs: Armstrong, Dickie, Whittamore.