Blueboys’ run comes to a halt
London Colney’s run of eight unbeaten matches came to an end last night when they lost 3-2 away to Oxhey Jets.
Without strikers Matt Newman (illness) and Jimmy Hill (injured), the Blueboys found themselves 2-0 down early in the second half but they fought back to level terms only to be hit with a penalty awarded against them.
In the first half Russell Gallagher had a shot tipped around the post after a Martin Collins’ effort had been blocked whilst for Oxhey, Lee Armitt had a effort saved by Charlie May.
Jimmy Hartley went close a couple of times, with his second effort forcing a corner, which he curled into the six yard box whereupon Will Baker, the Oxhey keeper, gathered it under pressure as three Blueboys closed in.
Baker quickly cleared the ball upfield for Armitt who instantly saw May way off his line and he promptly chipped the ball over him from distance to give a Oxhey a 1-0 lead.
The Blueboys tried to hit back with Greg Shaw seeing his cross-cum-shot held by Baker at the second attempt whilst Hartley, after a good run, saw his drive go just over the bar.
After 54 minutes Oxhey went 2-0 up as Simeon Armstrong drove the ball into the top right corner of the net.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
The Blueboys should have pulled a goal back after a Hartley found Yasin Boodhoo in the box but he headed over the bar from four yards out.
London Colney did narrow the gap when Hartley created space for himself to send a powerful low drive from the edge of the box goalwards and Baker could not hold onto the ball and it crept over the line to make it 2-1.
The Blueboys, after a bit of pressure, then made it 2-2 when they won a corner, which Hartley curled in and Spencer Clarke-Mardel bundled the ball over the line.
It now looked like the Blueboys could go on and win the match as they were putting the Oxhey back line under some pressure but then the home team broke away and a rash challenge by Boodhoo on Armitt won them a penalty.
Armitt took the kick himself and drove it home to give Oxhey a 3-2 win.