Blueboys’ run comes to a halt
London Colney’s run of eight unbeaten matches came to an end last night when they lost 3-2 away to Oxhey Jets.
Without strikers Matt Newman (illness) and Jimmy Hill (injured), the Blueboys found themselves 2-0 down early in the second half but they fought back to level terms only to be hit with a penalty awarded against them.
In the first half Russell Gallagher had a shot tipped around the post after a Martin Collins’ effort had been blocked whilst for Oxhey, Lee Armitt had a effort saved by Charlie May.
Jimmy Hartley went close a couple of times, with his second effort forcing a corner, which he curled into the six yard box whereupon Will Baker, the Oxhey keeper, gathered it under pressure as three Blueboys closed in.
Baker quickly cleared the ball upfield for Armitt who instantly saw May way off his line and he promptly chipped the ball over him from distance to give a Oxhey a 1-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys tried to hit back with Greg Shaw seeing his cross-cum-shot held by Baker at the second attempt whilst Hartley, after a good run, saw his drive go just over the bar.
After 54 minutes Oxhey went 2-0 up as Simeon Armstrong drove the ball into the top right corner of the net.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 4 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 5 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 6 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
The Blueboys should have pulled a goal back after a Hartley found Yasin Boodhoo in the box but he headed over the bar from four yards out.
London Colney did narrow the gap when Hartley created space for himself to send a powerful low drive from the edge of the box goalwards and Baker could not hold onto the ball and it crept over the line to make it 2-1.
The Blueboys, after a bit of pressure, then made it 2-2 when they won a corner, which Hartley curled in and Spencer Clarke-Mardel bundled the ball over the line.
It now looked like the Blueboys could go on and win the match as they were putting the Oxhey back line under some pressure but then the home team broke away and a rash challenge by Boodhoo on Armitt won them a penalty.
Armitt took the kick himself and drove it home to give Oxhey a 3-2 win.