Blueboys pegged back at Bedford
LONDON Colney were twice pegged back and had to settle for a point from their trip to Bedford Town Reserves on Saturday.
Frankie Jowle’s eighth minute penalty, awarded after Ricky Perks was impeded at a corner kick, handed the Blueboys an early advantage but it lasted just nine minutes as Bedford hit back.
A shot by Matt Kimpni was beaten away by Winston Seidu, in for the injured Mark Whittamore, and Reis Ashraff was on hand to turn the loose ball home.
The goal spurred the home side on but it was Colney who got the next goal when Trevor Stevens fired home ten minutes before half time.
Greg Shaw and Stevens worked a clever one-two just outside the box before the latter curled home a delightful chip from the edge of the penalty area.
You may also want to watch:
Sean Buxton and Ashraff both wasted chances to draw the home side level early in the second half but Ashraff made amends for that miss with the equaliser in the 52nd minute.
Substitute Dave Parkinson should have wrapped up all three points for the Blueboys late on when he latched onto Perks’ flick on but he curled his shot wide. It was a bad afternoon all round for the Colney striker who arrived at the ground late and was then shown a red card after the game for his comments to the official.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Sustainable St Albans hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Colney: Seidu; Hull, McCafferty, Paradise, Murphy, Shaw, Jowle, Wilkinson (Butcher), Perks, Stevens (Parkinson), Fitzgerald.
* Last Wednesday evening the Blueboys recorded a fine 2-0 victory over promotion chasing Crawley Green.
Parkinson put the Blueboys on their way latching onto Jowle’s pass before racing clear of the defence and slotting the ball past goalkeeper Joe Cox.
It should have been 2-0 minutes later when Perks shot wide of the target but the striker did get his name on the scoresheet after the break to put Colney in a commanding position.
With 12 minutes to go the big forward connected sweetly with Jowle’s pin point cross to fire a low shot past Cox from eight yards out.
Perks could have had another but saw his shot come back off the post with Sam Wilkinson putting the rebound over the bar.