Blueboys miss out on semi spot

But Colney just one step from Centenary Trophy final

Herts Charity Shield Quarter Final

Oxhey Jets 6 London Colney 4

LONDON Colney missed out on a place in the Herts Charity Shield semi finals after losing to Oxhey Jets in a 10-goal thriller.

Ryan Thompson’s side found themselves behind after just three minutes when Ian Bywater was left unchallenged to head home from a corner.

Bywater was proving a real thorn in the side for Colney and it was no surprise when he made it two-nil heading home his second of the evening. He could have wrapped up a first half hat-trick but, with only goalkeeper Mark Whittamore to beat, he saw his shot clip the outside of the post.

Matt Newman reduced the arrears with a stunning strike that saw him beat two defenders before sending a curling shot into the bottom corner of the net but five minutes later the hosts restored their two goal cushion when Spencer Bellotti took advantage of London Colney’s failure to clear their lines and planted an effort past Whittamore.

Most Read

The Blueboys looked like they were facing a cricket score when Gavin Hart fired home Oxhey’s fourth two minutes before the break but a spirited start to the second half saw Colney pull another goal back through Aaron Clarke after Oxhey stopper Steve Duce had parried Newman’s shot into the former Harpenden forward’s path.

That sparked Colney’s Premier Division hosts into life and goals from Bellotti and Lee Inch looked to have killed the game off.

Unperturbed, Thompson’s men kept plugging away and their efforts were rewarded with a second goal of the evening for Newman, the ex-Park Street hotshot driving home from substitute Jimmy Warner’s cross.

Newman had the final say completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Warner had been fouled but the Jets held on to take their place in the semi-finals.

Colney: Whittamore; Thompson, Butler, Murphy, Paradise, Shaw, Hutchinson, Knightley, Newman, Clarke (Warner), Fitzgerald, Stevens.

Herts Senior Centenary Trophy Quarter Final

London Colney 3

London Lions 2

LONDON Colney booked their place in the Herts Senior Centenary semi finals with victory over London Lions.

The Lions started brightly with Andy Glynee and Sam Sloma both testing the Blueboys defence early on but it was the home side who broke the deadlock when centre-half Mark Paradise headed home from Danny Fitzgerald’s deep corner.

London Lions responded with Matt Stock firing over the bar and Ben Lampert forcing a save from Mark Whittamore.

Craig Knightley teed up both Matt Newman and Jimmy Warner but Newman fired wide while the latter saw his effort beaten away by goalkeeper Mario Canolli.

Lions’ grabbed an equaliser seven minutes after the restart when Glynne smashed a shot past Whittamore but Colney should have regained the lead when Paradise met Greg Shaw’s free kick only to head over the bar.

With extra-time looming the visitors snatched the lead when Glynne popped up in the box to score from close range.

Their joy was short-lived though as Colney replied instantly courtesy of Kenny Hull’s free kick which slipped through the grasp of Canolli.

With time running out the Blueboys made one last push for a winner.

Shaw’s firmly struck effort was pushed away by Canolli but while the Lions defence waited for the ball to go behind for a corner Aaron Clarke retrieved it and fed John Butler who in turn found Danny McCafferty and he beat his man before firing home the winner.

Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Shaw, Knightley (Butler); Stevens, Newman, Warner (Clarke), Fitzgerald.