Blueboys march on
Blueboys make it nine wins from their last 10 games
SSML Division One
Bedford 1 London Colney 2
LEAGUE leaders London Colney maintained their two point cushion at the top of the Division One table with a hard fought win over Bedford on Tuesday evening.
It took the Blueboys just 10 minutes to break the deadlock when Jimmy Warner was sent clear by John Butler and the forward beat the on-rushing Alex Bishop to net his 11th goal of the season.
Bedford responded with Kevin McEroy shooting wide and Ian Thorne rattling Mark Whittamore’s crossbar. Andy Saul then cleared Alan Kenny’s long range free kick off the line after the strong wind had taken the ball over Whittamore’s head.
Ashley Kersey became the second Bedford man to hit the woodwork when his effort came back off the post before Greg Shaw got in on the act for Colney with a shot that cannoned off the underside of the crossbar.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 8 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 9 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
The Blueboys doubled their lead midway through the second half with Butler again involved in the build up. He released Danny Fitzgerald who cut the ball back for Matt Newman to fire past Bishop from 10 yards out.
Warner had a third goal chalked off when he tapped home Newman’s cut back but the linesman had adjudged the ball to have crossed the line before Newman had set up his strike partner.
Bedford reduced the deficit 13 minutes from time when Dave Kiddie fired home from Kenny’s corner but it was little more than a consolation goal for the hosts.
Ryan Thompson’s Blueboys entertain St Albans City Reserves this Saturday (KO 3pm).
London Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Butler, Fitzgerald, Shaw, Newman, Warner, Knightley (Sutton). Subs not used: Stevens, Jowle, Thompson.