Blueboys march on
Blueboys make it nine wins from their last 10 games
SSML Division One
Bedford 1 London Colney 2
LEAGUE leaders London Colney maintained their two point cushion at the top of the Division One table with a hard fought win over Bedford on Tuesday evening.
It took the Blueboys just 10 minutes to break the deadlock when Jimmy Warner was sent clear by John Butler and the forward beat the on-rushing Alex Bishop to net his 11th goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Bedford responded with Kevin McEroy shooting wide and Ian Thorne rattling Mark Whittamore’s crossbar. Andy Saul then cleared Alan Kenny’s long range free kick off the line after the strong wind had taken the ball over Whittamore’s head.
Ashley Kersey became the second Bedford man to hit the woodwork when his effort came back off the post before Greg Shaw got in on the act for Colney with a shot that cannoned off the underside of the crossbar.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
The Blueboys doubled their lead midway through the second half with Butler again involved in the build up. He released Danny Fitzgerald who cut the ball back for Matt Newman to fire past Bishop from 10 yards out.
Warner had a third goal chalked off when he tapped home Newman’s cut back but the linesman had adjudged the ball to have crossed the line before Newman had set up his strike partner.
Bedford reduced the deficit 13 minutes from time when Dave Kiddie fired home from Kenny’s corner but it was little more than a consolation goal for the hosts.
Ryan Thompson’s Blueboys entertain St Albans City Reserves this Saturday (KO 3pm).
London Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Butler, Fitzgerald, Shaw, Newman, Warner, Knightley (Sutton). Subs not used: Stevens, Jowle, Thompson.