Blueboys leave it too late at Hoddesdon
SSML Division One
Hoddesdon Town 4 London Colney 3
LONDON Colney left their fightback too late as they slipped to a 4-3 defeat at Hoddesdon Town on Saturday.
The Blueboys had found themselves 4-1 down with just 18 minutes remaining before goals from Greg Shaw and Sam Mitchell fired Dave Townsend’s side right back into contention but in the end it was too little too late.
Colney had to do without influential striker Dave Parkinson who was unavailable and with just two minutes gone they found themselves behind when Jamie Curtis’s free kick was deflected past John Armand.
You may also want to watch:
James Thompson drew the Blueboys level, seizing on a slip by Damien Thomas to drive the ball into the top corner of the net, but the parity didn’t last long as former Blueboy Gary Simmonds fired home from inside the box following another Curtis free kick.
The home side extended their lead 10 minutes into the second half when Colney failed to clear their lines from a corner and Tom Cowell made no mistake.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
Shaw should have reduced the deficit when he headed Murphy’s pass wide of the target while Billy Wingrove hit the Colney crossbar. As the ball came back off the woodwork Kenny Hull was adjudged to have handled the ball and Wingrove stepped up to drive home the spot kick.
The Blueboys looked dead and buried but fought back and Shaw headed powerfully home from Frankie Jowle’s corner.
Dean Parratt had a glorious chance to make it 4-3 when Tom Bullock’s goal kick fell straight to the Colney man but his attempted lob was gathered easily by the goalkeeper.
With five minutes to go the Blueboys did make it 4-3 when Mitchell raced past Thomas and fired low past Bullock but it proved too late for Colney to rescue a point.
Colney: Armand; Hull, McCafferty, Paradise, Murphy, Shaw, Jowle, Mitchell, Fitzgerald (Parratt), Thompson (Stevens), Gallagher. Sub not used: Wilkinson.
* Former Harpenden Town striker Chris Gregory netted the only goal of the game as the Blueboys lost 1-0 at Berkhamsted on Tuesday night.
Gregory struck with six minutes remaining to settle the Division One Cup second round tie.
* The Reserves won 9-0 against Langford with Matt Hudson netting a hat-trick, Greg Deacon (two), Marc Farrow (two), Cain Davey and James Lawrence also scored.