Blueboys into Trophy quarter-finals
Stevens, Gallagher and Perks on target in win
Herts Senior Centenary Trophy Round Two
London Colney 3 Wodson Park 1
LONDON Colney booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy with a 3-1 win over Wodson Park.
Saturday’s game was the third attempt at fulfilling the fixture after the previous two weeks had seen the weather come out on top.
The Blueboys made up for lost time going ahead in the 25th minute through Trevor Stevens.
Danny McCafferty’s throw-in was knocked down by Richard Perks and Stevens was on hand to drive the ball home from all of 30 yards..
- 1 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 2 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 3 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 4 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 5 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 6 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 7 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 8 Alex Lankshear goes pro after leaving St Albans City for a Championship side
- 9 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
The Blueboys continued to press forward and Wodson defender Martin Taylor had to react quickly to hack clear McCafferty’s dangerous cross.
Wodson Park had several openings but none they were able to take and they were made to pay for their profligacy by the Blueboys who doubled their advantage on the stroke of half-time.
A Park corner was gathered by Mark Whittamore who quickly released the ball to Sam Wilkinson. He fed Greg Deacon who in turn set Russell Gallagher clear and he raced past the covering defender before firing the ball under goalkeeper Craig Walker.
The second half was all of two minutes old when Tyler Hatherley handed the visitors a lifeline, beating Whittamore with a low shot from the edge of the box but it didn’t knock the Blueboys from their stride and they continued to forge opportunities.
Gallagher and Perks both went close and Walker pushed McCafferty’s fierce shot away from danger.
Wodson pushed for an equaliser but the closest they came was a Hatherley free kick that went narrowly over the bar.
The Blueboys put the result beyond doubt 11 minutes from time when Perks headed home his first goal of the season.
Jowle was the architect sending over a free kick that Perks stooped to head home. It was the striker’s last contribution to the game as a boot to the face in the process of scoring ended the big man’s afternoon.
There was still time for Deacon to go close with a strike from distance but the midfielder was narrowly off target.
Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Paradise, Murphy, Wilkinson (Shaw), Jowle, Stevens (Mitchell), Deacon, Perks (Parratt), Gallagher.