Blueboys in Paradise after taming Lions
Greg Shaw nets twice in 3-1 win
SSML Division One
London Lions 1 London Colney 3
LONDON Colney returned from London Lions with all three points following a good team performance.
The Blueboys included midfielder Dean Adams and striker Andy Murphy in their matchday squad after the duo completed their moves from Cockfosters but it was centre half Mark Paradise who stole the show with a superb display at the heart of the Blueboys defence.
The opening goal of the game came after just seven minutes when Greg Shaw and Danny McCafferty down the left hand side with the latter pick out Craig Knigthley and he slipped the ball past goalkeeper Mario Cenolli.
The Blueboys came close to doubling their lead when John Butler turned Knightley’s cross into the path of top-scorer Matt Newman but the striker rifled his effort over the bar.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
The second goal wasn’t long in coming though and duly arrived in the 24th minute when Greg Shaw’s excellent free-kick kept low and fizzed into the bottom corner of the Lions’ goal.
Former Dagenham & Redbridge star Sam Sloma forced Colney goalkeeper Mark Whittamore into action to keep out a fierce shot and then failed to find the target after being given time and space to turn and shoot.
The 29-year-old did eventually get his name on the scoresheet when his free-kick curled over the wall and into the top right hand corner of the net and the home side came close to drawing level when Whittamore’s poor clearance fell to Dan Stanton but the Blueboys custodian recovered to remove the danger.
Colney’s two-goal cushion was restored before the interval when Shaw bent another free-kick past Cenolli, this time into the top corner, to give the Blueboys a bit more breathing space.
After the break Whittamore produced a brilliant one-handed save to deny Josh Kennet who then saw an effort hacked off the line by Paradise.
Jimmy Warner presented Newman with a good opportunity to further Colney’s lead but the former Park Street forward saw his shot come back off the post.
In the dying minutes substitute Greg Deacon found Newman who squared the ball to Danny Fitzgerald but he was thwarted by Cenolli as Colney ran out 3-1 winners.
Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton, Knightley, Shaw (Adams), Newman, Warner (Deacon), Butler (Fitzgerald).
* The Reserves had a solid home win over Oxhey Jets Reserves as goals from Sebastian Thomas (two), Johnny Armitt and Jack Woods sealed a 4-0 win.
* Dean Adams scored twice as the Blueboys beat Park Street Village 3-0 in a friendly on Tuesday evening. Fellow new-boy Andy Murphy grabbed the other goal.