Blueboys hit Sun Postal for four
Division One Cup London Colney 4 Sun Postal Sports 2 THE second round of the Division One Cup saw London Colney entertain Sun Postal Sports and by the final whistle the Blueboys had won 4-2 after they had led 1-0 at the break. Early on Ben Fletcher fired
Division One Cup
London Colney 4 Sun Postal Sports 2
THE second round of the Division One Cup saw London Colney entertain Sun Postal Sports and by the final whistle the Blueboys had won 4-2 after they had led 1-0 at the break.
Early on Ben Fletcher fired an effort just over the bar and Nassim Chergui saw his effort flash right across the six yard box and wide as the visitors started brightly.
You may also want to watch:
For the Blueboys a long ball forward by Frankie Jowle was nodded down for Dave Parkinson who saw his shot go just wide and then following a Jowle free kick Josh Humbert headed just wide.
After 30 minutes a fine pass from Parkinson to Humbert saw him send a delightful lob over Phil Sharpe, the Sun 'keeper, to put the Blueboys 1-0 up, and Humbert went close minutes later when he headed just wide after Russell Gallagher fired in a tremendous volley which Sharpe pushed away for a corner.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans
Just before half time Parkinson found himself with space inside the box but Sharpe did well to block him as he tried to run the ball around the 'keeper, and in the first minute of the second half Gallagher raced into the box but once again Sharpe was on hand to block his shot.
A minute later Sun drew level when Chergui shot home from 10 yards.
In reply, Jowle hit a high free kick into the box which flew only inches wide of Sharpe's right hand post and the Blueboys gradually took control of the match.
Gallagher once again created space for himself inside the box but his effort brushed the outside of the right post.
In the 55th minute Gallagher found Humbert who slipped the ball out side to Jowle. He raced into the box and drilled a low shot past Sharpe to put London Colney 2-0 up.
Five minutes later it was three when Humbert split the Sun defence with a pass to Parkinson, and he raced clear and duly despatched the ball into the back of the net.
Three became four soon after when a Jowle free kick found Mark Paradise at the back post and his header struck a defender on the line but the ball just crossed to finished their scoring.
Danny Fitzgerald then struck the crossbar and Davey shot just wide while, Corran with a firm shot hit the side netting, but although Sun pulled a goal back when after a quick break Darren Turner shot home past Munn, it was the final goal of the game.
London Colney: Munn, Hudson (Paradise), Corran, Dickie, Hull, Humbert, Jowle (Davey), Magwood, Parkinson, Butcher (Fitzgerald), Gallagher. Subs not used: Mitchell, Hill.
Reserves: Playing Oxhey Jets Reserves away, London Colney Reserves earned a point with a 1-1 draw. Jason Nicolaou scored their equaliser.