Blueboys held by Park
Murphy’s goal cancels out Warner’s opener
SSML Division One
London Colney 1
Wodson Park 1
RYAN Thompson saw his London Colney side drop their first points in 10 games after being held by Wodson Park on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys, who were missing goalkeeper Mark Whittamore through injury, fielded John Gregory in goal but it was at the other end of the field that the first chance materialised when Craig Knightley saw his shot brush the top of the visitors’ crossbar.
Knightley and Matt Newman both had shots blocked by Wodson goalkeeper James Sturgeon but the Blueboys had a close shave when Gregory spilled Ross Murphy’s shot into the path of Peter Sawyer who saw his shot come back off the upright.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
Knightley then forced Sturgeon into a fine save to divert his shot over the bar and defender Shaun Murphy also saw the Wodson custodian turn a header away from goal.
The Blueboys eventually went ahead five minutes into the second period. Newman chased a lost cause into the corner, beating the defender to the ball and teeing up Jimmy Warner to drive home his 17th goal of the season.
Minutes later the same duo combined to create another opening but this time Warner saw his effort saved.
With the Blueboys pushing on in search of a second goal they were undone by a sucker punch as Murphy drew Wodson level. Trevor Stevens was guilty of switching off and that gave Daniel Burke the space he needed to pick out Murphy who headed past Gregory to snatch a point for the visitors.
The Blueboys are back in action on Tuesday, December 27, when they travel to Kings Langley. Kick-off is midday.
London Colney: Gregory; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Murphy, Shaw, Knightley, Stevens, Newman, Warner (Thomas), Fitzgerald.
* Striker Aaron Clarke has left London Colney to re-sign for neighbours Colney Heath.
The former Harpenden Town forward wanted more game time having spent most of the season playing second-fiddle to in-form front pair Matt Newman and Jimmy Warner but manager Ryan Thompson was unable to guarantee him first team football.
Reluctantly the club agreed to release the forward who made his first appearance for Colney Heath off the bench in their 1-0 win over St Margaretsbury on Saturday.
A statement on the Blueboys’ website said the forward “leaves with our best wishes and good luck for the future”.