Blueboys handed another defeat
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Hanwell Town 2 London Colney 1 LONDON Colney missed out on a point as they fell to a late goal at Hanwell Town in the Premier Division on Saturday. The Blueboys powered forward early on and Greg Shaw
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Hanwell Town 2 London Colney 1
LONDON Colney missed out on a point as they fell to a late goal at Hanwell Town in the Premier Division on Saturday.
The Blueboys powered forward early on and Greg Shaw forced Hanwell goalkeeper Jakub Machlowski to make a sprawling save.
Defender Mark Paradise blocked a shot from Hanwell attacker Keith Rowlands, before a Danny McCafferty corner for the Blueboys reached Paul Swendell, only for Machlowski to save again.
Hanwell stepped up their game and were rewarded in the 33rd minute when Colney goalkeeper Gary Statham punched the ball away from a corner only for Rowlands, back after injury, to drill his shot home.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 6 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 7 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
The Blueboys hit back immediately, when defender Mark Paradise hooked the ball into the box from a McCafferty corner and Gary Doolan headed home from two yards.
In the second half, Doolan's far-post header went the wrong side of the post and Sam Mitchell fired over after Dave Corran and Cain Davey combined.
Swendell denied Rowlands a second with a clearance off the line and Statham had to be alert to avert danger after another Hanwell corner.
With a well-earned point looking likely, Colney crumbled and Rowlands surged into the box to shoot home for 2-1 with seven minutes remaining.
Corran headed a late chance wide as the Blueboys missed out again, taking another step towards relegation from the top division.
London Colney: Statham, Murphy, McCafferty, Paradise, Swendell, Doolan (Butcher), Corran, Shaw (Mitchell), Jaravaza, Davey (Caines), Haynes. Unused sub: Townsend.