Blueboys handed another defeat
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Hanwell Town 2 London Colney 1 LONDON Colney missed out on a point as they fell to a late goal at Hanwell Town in the Premier Division on Saturday. The Blueboys powered forward early on and Greg Shaw
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Hanwell Town 2 London Colney 1
LONDON Colney missed out on a point as they fell to a late goal at Hanwell Town in the Premier Division on Saturday.
The Blueboys powered forward early on and Greg Shaw forced Hanwell goalkeeper Jakub Machlowski to make a sprawling save.
You may also want to watch:
Defender Mark Paradise blocked a shot from Hanwell attacker Keith Rowlands, before a Danny McCafferty corner for the Blueboys reached Paul Swendell, only for Machlowski to save again.
Hanwell stepped up their game and were rewarded in the 33rd minute when Colney goalkeeper Gary Statham punched the ball away from a corner only for Rowlands, back after injury, to drill his shot home.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The Blueboys hit back immediately, when defender Mark Paradise hooked the ball into the box from a McCafferty corner and Gary Doolan headed home from two yards.
In the second half, Doolan's far-post header went the wrong side of the post and Sam Mitchell fired over after Dave Corran and Cain Davey combined.
Swendell denied Rowlands a second with a clearance off the line and Statham had to be alert to avert danger after another Hanwell corner.
With a well-earned point looking likely, Colney crumbled and Rowlands surged into the box to shoot home for 2-1 with seven minutes remaining.
Corran headed a late chance wide as the Blueboys missed out again, taking another step towards relegation from the top division.
London Colney: Statham, Murphy, McCafferty, Paradise, Swendell, Doolan (Butcher), Corran, Shaw (Mitchell), Jaravaza, Davey (Caines), Haynes. Unused sub: Townsend.