Blueboys handed another defeat
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Hanwell Town 2 London Colney 1 LONDON Colney missed out on a point as they fell to a late goal at Hanwell Town in the Premier Division on Saturday. The Blueboys powered forward early on and Greg Shaw
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Hanwell Town 2 London Colney 1
LONDON Colney missed out on a point as they fell to a late goal at Hanwell Town in the Premier Division on Saturday.
The Blueboys powered forward early on and Greg Shaw forced Hanwell goalkeeper Jakub Machlowski to make a sprawling save.
You may also want to watch:
Defender Mark Paradise blocked a shot from Hanwell attacker Keith Rowlands, before a Danny McCafferty corner for the Blueboys reached Paul Swendell, only for Machlowski to save again.
Hanwell stepped up their game and were rewarded in the 33rd minute when Colney goalkeeper Gary Statham punched the ball away from a corner only for Rowlands, back after injury, to drill his shot home.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
The Blueboys hit back immediately, when defender Mark Paradise hooked the ball into the box from a McCafferty corner and Gary Doolan headed home from two yards.
In the second half, Doolan's far-post header went the wrong side of the post and Sam Mitchell fired over after Dave Corran and Cain Davey combined.
Swendell denied Rowlands a second with a clearance off the line and Statham had to be alert to avert danger after another Hanwell corner.
With a well-earned point looking likely, Colney crumbled and Rowlands surged into the box to shoot home for 2-1 with seven minutes remaining.
Corran headed a late chance wide as the Blueboys missed out again, taking another step towards relegation from the top division.
London Colney: Statham, Murphy, McCafferty, Paradise, Swendell, Doolan (Butcher), Corran, Shaw (Mitchell), Jaravaza, Davey (Caines), Haynes. Unused sub: Townsend.