Blueboys go through
FA Cup Witham Town 3 London Colney 6 LONDON Colney moved into the first qualifying round of the FA Cup after a sound 6-3 victory at Witham Town. The Blueboys made a disastorous start conceding a goal inside the first minute as Kevin Hawes fired home from
Witham Town 3 London Colney 6
LONDON Colney moved into the first qualifying round of the FA Cup after a sound 6-3 victory at Witham Town.
The Blueboys made a disastorous start conceding a goal inside the first minute as Kevin Hawes fired home from Neil Warren's free kick.
The Blueboys pushed for an equaliser and were rewarded in the 12th minute as Josh Humbert fired home following Kenny Hull's pass.
The visitors took the lead for the first time two minutes later when Frankie Jowle's cross was smashed home by Rob Magwood but the lead was short-lived as Hawes drove the ball past Munn for his second goal of the game.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 8 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
Several chances were wasted by the Blueboys before they regained the lead on the half hour mark.
Jowle again was the creator delivering an inch perfect cross for David Parkinson to race in and head home.
A Jowle free kick caused panic in the home defence but goalkeeper Dean Grace grabbed the ball at the third attempt.
The second half was 15 minutes old when Colney added their fourth goal, with Russell Gallagher stabbing the ball home after Humbert's effort was blocked.
Three minutes later it was 5-2 as Gallagher and Parkinson combined with the latter sending a ferocious shot into the back of the net.
The home side were awarded a penalty when Hull fouled Sam Taylor, and Dave Hawes converted the spot kick.
Witham's cause wasn't helped when Kevin Hawes was shown a red card for striking Humbert giving the Blueboys the initiative.
Colney added their sixth goal 10 minutes from time as Humbert won a challenge in the air before advancing and firing the ball low past Grace in the Witham goal.
Paul Danslow hit a post for Colney late on and Witham's Ryan Hubble saw his shot crash off the crossbar but the Blueboys held on to set up a first qualifying round tie at home to Ryman Premier Division side Aveley on Saturday, September 12.
London Colney: Munn, Hull, Corran, Dickie, Murphy, Humbert, Gallagher (Davey), Magwood (Hudson), Parkinson (Danslow), Simmonds, Jowle. Sub not used: Hill.
LONDON Colney Reserves went down 4-2 at home to Hoddesdon Town Reserves, despite taking a 1-0 lead.