Blueboys floor Crawley Green
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Crawley Green 0 London Colney 2 LONDON Colney shut out free-scoring Crawley Green on Saturday as they recorded an impressive away victory. Hosts Crawley Green had clattered in 28 goals in 10 league
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Crawley Green 0 London Colney 2
LONDON Colney shut out free-scoring Crawley Green on Saturday as they recorded an impressive away victory.
Hosts Crawley Green had clattered in 28 goals in 10 league fixtures including putting eight past Brache Sparta in their previous home match.
The Blueboys were not daunted and went on the attack from the kick off. Paul Danslow had a shot blocked and John Beschizza crossed for Dave Corran who also saw his shot blocked with Danslow's rebound effort headed off the line.
Danny McCafferty made some vital challenges to thwart the Crawley Green attack while at the other end Jermaine Davey shot wide.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 8 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 9 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
- 10 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
The Blueboys went 1-0 up when Lee Benning surged down the right flank and crossed for Danslow to net with an emphatic header.
Early in the second half Colney almost made it 2-0 when Danslow skimmed the cross bar with a fine header.
Defender Tom Dickie cleared well as Robbie O'Dell threatened for Crawley Green and at the other end Colney centre back Mark Paradise met a McCafferty free kick with a header which was pushed away. Josh Humbert raced in to pounce on the loose ball but hit the ground and the referee adjudged he had been tripped and pointed to the penalty spot. Midfielder Greg Shaw stepped up and held his nerve to convert the first spot kick of the season awarded to Colney.
Former Colney Heath midfielder Gary Simmonds, a recent signing for the Blueboys then went close with a cross-shot which arrowed just wide of the far post.
London Colney: Hill, Benning, McCafferty, Paradise, Dickie, Humbert, Beschizza (Simmonds), Shaw, Danslow (R. Gallagher), J. Davey (C. Davey), Corran. Unused subs: Gorrall, Murphy.