Blueboys finish pre-season with victory
- Credit: Archant
London Colney finished their preparations for the SSML Premier Division season with a 4-3 win over Letchworth Garden City Eagles on Saturday.
Manager Jim Nicholls, who is heading into his first season as first-team boss after replacing Ryan Thompson, took a mixed squad of players to Letchworth for the match, which was played in three 30-minute periods.
The Blueboys found themselves a goal down when the Eagles were awarded a penalty that was duly dispatched into the bottom right hand corner. It did not take long for Colney to hit back though, as Jason Nicolau headed them level.
Having set up the first goal, Shaun Murphy got another assist, this time teeing up Ryan Halil to tuck the ball into the net at the back post. Just before the end of the first period Letchworth scored an equaliser.
Jimmy Hartley, who has enjoyed an excellent pre-season, scored Colney’s third, curling a free-kick into the top corner. Not to be outdone, Eagles scored a free-kick of their own to draw level.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys produced one more goal, which was enough to down their Herts Savers County League opponents, as Matt Tillbrook reacted fastest to a shot that hit the bar to score the rebound.
- 1 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park