Blueboys extend lead at top of Division One
Chesham United Reserves unable to halt in-form Blueboys
SSML Division One
London Colney 2 Chesham United Reserves 0
LONDON Colney opened up a 10 point gap at the top of the Division One table with victory over Chesham United Reserves.
The visitors had an early chance to go in front when Matt Lench attempted to beat Mark Whittamore with a dinked effort but the Blueboys’ custodian was more than equal to the shot and tipped it over the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
Jimmy Warner saw an effort brush the outside of the post and Craig Knightley forced James Weatherill into a good save.
The opening goal of the contest came four minutes before the break and came courtesy of John Butler. Knightley was the architect, creating space for himself out on the wing before delivering a perfect cross for Butler to steal in at the near post and turn home from close range.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
After the break Butler turned provider but Danny Fitzgerald was unable to capitalise while local boy Sam Barker shot wide for the visitors.
Ryan Thompson’s side doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half with a stunning strike from Trevor Stevens.
Warner burst forward and he slipped the ball to Stevens 20 yards from goal with the former Colney Heath man sending a cracking effort past the helpless Weatherill.
Former Blueboy Ashley Aimakhu performed well on his return to Cotlandswick and the Chesham defender went close to reducing the deficit but his effort was repelled by Whittamore and the Colney ‘keeper also denied Ben Edwards with a smart save.
London Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton, Knightley (Hutchinson), Shaw (Stevens), Fitzgerald, Warner, Clarke, Butler.