Blueboys extend lead at top of Division One
Chesham United Reserves unable to halt in-form Blueboys
SSML Division One
London Colney 2 Chesham United Reserves 0
LONDON Colney opened up a 10 point gap at the top of the Division One table with victory over Chesham United Reserves.
The visitors had an early chance to go in front when Matt Lench attempted to beat Mark Whittamore with a dinked effort but the Blueboys’ custodian was more than equal to the shot and tipped it over the crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
Jimmy Warner saw an effort brush the outside of the post and Craig Knightley forced James Weatherill into a good save.
The opening goal of the contest came four minutes before the break and came courtesy of John Butler. Knightley was the architect, creating space for himself out on the wing before delivering a perfect cross for Butler to steal in at the near post and turn home from close range.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
After the break Butler turned provider but Danny Fitzgerald was unable to capitalise while local boy Sam Barker shot wide for the visitors.
Ryan Thompson’s side doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half with a stunning strike from Trevor Stevens.
Warner burst forward and he slipped the ball to Stevens 20 yards from goal with the former Colney Heath man sending a cracking effort past the helpless Weatherill.
Former Blueboy Ashley Aimakhu performed well on his return to Cotlandswick and the Chesham defender went close to reducing the deficit but his effort was repelled by Whittamore and the Colney ‘keeper also denied Ben Edwards with a smart save.
London Colney: Whittamore; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton, Knightley (Hutchinson), Shaw (Stevens), Fitzgerald, Warner, Clarke, Butler.