Blueboys edge past Benfica
SSML Division One London Colney 2 Sport London e Benfica 0 LONDON Colney picked up three more points as goals from Russell Gallagher and Gary Simmonds saw off Sport London e Benfica. The game was marred by a series of niggly fouls which saw five visiting
SSML Division One
London Colney 2 Sport London e Benfica 0
LONDON Colney picked up three more points as goals from Russell Gallagher and Gary Simmonds saw off Sport London e Benfica.
The game was marred by a series of niggly fouls which saw five visiting players booked and another sent off.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys started brightly with Dave Parkinson having a shot turned around the post and Simmonds forced Benfica stopper Fernando Seidi to tip his shot wide.
Parkinson then cut in from the left but lifted his curling shot over the bar.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
The closest Benfica came in the first half was Bruno De Freitas's free kick which went wide of Whittamore's goal.
The Blueboys took the lead three minutes after the break when Gallagher followed up a goalmouth scramble to fire home.
The lead was doubled seven minutes later from the penalty spot. Gallagher surged into the box only to be bundled over by a defender and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.
Up stepped Simmonds who smashed home the spot kick sending Seidi the wrong way.
A fine cross field pass from Kenny Hull found Gallagher but he shot into the side netting when perhaps a pass to the well positioned Simmonds would have been better.
A rare mistake at the back allowed De Freitas in but Whittamore pulled off a fine save to maintain his clean sheet.
Parkinson saw his cross-cum-shot cannon off the outside of the post and any hope Benfica may have had of getting a point from the game was extinguished when Djibrill Djalo was given his marching orders after collecting a second yellow card.
London Colney: Whittamore, Hull, Corran, Paradise, Murphy (Danslow), Dickie (Shaw), Jowle, Humbert (Benning), Parkinson, Simmonds Gallagher.