Blueboys ease past Welwyn
Parkinson, Fitzgerald and Mitchell on target for Colney
SSML Division One
London Colney 3
Welwyn Garden City 0
GOALS from Dave Parkinson, Danny Fitzgerald and Sam Mitchell gave London Colney all three points from their clash with Welwyn Garden City.
The Blueboys started well and it was no surprise when they opened the scoring, although they had to wait until the 37th minute to do so.
Fitzgerald found Parkinson with an excellent pass and the striker skipped past a defender before firing past Joe Croft in the Welwyn goal.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 8 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 9 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
It could have been 2-0 soon after but Fitzgerald’s diving header went inches wide.
A free kick by Paul Butler early in the second half gave John Armand a nervous moment when the keeper spilled the effort only to see it roll wide much to the custodian’s relief.
The Blueboys had to wait until the 78th minute to double their advantage when Fitzgerald reacted quickest to sweep the ball home after Russell Gallagher’s shot had been parried by Croft.
Seven minutes later it was 3-0 when Mitchell converted from the spot after Parkinson had been tripped in the box.
There was still time for Dean Parratt to go close but the sub’s curling shot came back off the post.
Colney: Armand, Hull (Murphy), McCafferty, Paradise, Thompson, Shaw, Jowle, Mitchell, Fitzgerald (Parratt), Parkinson (Wilkinson), Gallagher.