Blueboys draw away at Cockfosters
- Credit: Archant
London Colney came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw away at Cockfosters on Tuesday night.
A Harry Sedgley header cancelled out Luke Durnin’s opener for the hosts, who had triumphed 2-0 in the reverse fixture just last week.
The away side had the first chance of the evening, as Trevor Stevens connected with Ben Hammond’s cross but powered his header over the crossbar.
It didn’t take long for Cockfosters to take the lead though, as a quick throw from Adem Ali found Durnin in oceans of space and he made no mistake, calmly chipping the ball over Charlie May and into the Colney goal.
Shaun Murphy then almost brought the Blueboys straight back into the game, but saw his goal-bound effort hacked off the line by Cockfosters’ ‘keeper Ray Sharpe.
The away side continued to press in the second half, with Matt Newman twice going close after being set up by skipper Danny Fitzgerald, whilst Dan Power sent a free-kick whistling past the Cockfosters’ post.
The breakthrough did finally come though, as Sedgley connected with Matt Newman’s hooked cross to head the ball past Sharpe from five yards.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
The visitors then came close to nicking all three points when Hammond latched onto a poor kick from Sharpe, but saw his effort sail just wide of the post. The point leaves London Colney in seventh place in the SSML Premier League, with four games left to play.