Blueboys down league leaders Sun Sports
- Credit: Archant
London Colney extended their unbeaten run to three games with a 2-0 win over SSML Premier Division leaders Sun Sports on Saturday.
Since Ryan Thompson’s return as manager, the Blueboys have lost one game - his first match back against Buckingham Athletic - in four, scoring nine in the process while putting three successive wins together. This was his first, however, in the league after victories in the FA Vase and Herts FA Charity Shield.
Before his departure at the end of last season, Thompson guided Colney to back-to-back seventh placed finishes and will be aiming to go better this term. If his team can maintain its current form beyond Christmas, then seventh may be considered a bad result at the end of the campaign.
The Blueboys, under Thompson, are showing a potency going forward and resoluteness at the back and it was on display on Saturday at Sun Sports as they kept their second clean sheet and scored twice.
After a goalless first half, in which London Colney were unlucky not to find the net, captain Greg Shaw opened the scoring. Mark Ridgeway curled a free-kick into the box from the right and Shaw rose highest to head the ball past Ross Hampton, Sun Sports’ goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
Elliot Bailey scored the second after the impressive Dan Power surged down the right and crossed to Russell Gallagher. His first-time touch teed up the 19-year-old who netted his second goal in as many games.
Thompson’s focus switches back to the cup this week as Colney entertain Holbeach United the third round of the FA Vase. Kick-off is 3pm. Admission is £6 for adults and £3 for concessions.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
• Simon Beazley scored twice as the reserves beat their counterparts from Harpenden Town 2-1.