Blueboys down league leaders Sun Sports
- Credit: Archant
London Colney extended their unbeaten run to three games with a 2-0 win over SSML Premier Division leaders Sun Sports on Saturday.
Since Ryan Thompson’s return as manager, the Blueboys have lost one game - his first match back against Buckingham Athletic - in four, scoring nine in the process while putting three successive wins together. This was his first, however, in the league after victories in the FA Vase and Herts FA Charity Shield.
Before his departure at the end of last season, Thompson guided Colney to back-to-back seventh placed finishes and will be aiming to go better this term. If his team can maintain its current form beyond Christmas, then seventh may be considered a bad result at the end of the campaign.
The Blueboys, under Thompson, are showing a potency going forward and resoluteness at the back and it was on display on Saturday at Sun Sports as they kept their second clean sheet and scored twice.
After a goalless first half, in which London Colney were unlucky not to find the net, captain Greg Shaw opened the scoring. Mark Ridgeway curled a free-kick into the box from the right and Shaw rose highest to head the ball past Ross Hampton, Sun Sports’ goalkeeper.
Elliot Bailey scored the second after the impressive Dan Power surged down the right and crossed to Russell Gallagher. His first-time touch teed up the 19-year-old who netted his second goal in as many games.
Thompson’s focus switches back to the cup this week as Colney entertain Holbeach United the third round of the FA Vase. Kick-off is 3pm. Admission is £6 for adults and £3 for concessions.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 3 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 4 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 5 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 6 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 7 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 8 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 10 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
• Simon Beazley scored twice as the reserves beat their counterparts from Harpenden Town 2-1.