Blueboys close to cup upset
FA Cup First Round Qualifying London Colney 1 Aveley 1 LONDON Colney earned themselves a replay after holding Ryman Premier Division side Aveley to a 1-1 draw. Colney looked set to book their place in the next round after taking the lead through David Par
FA Cup First Round Qualifying
London Colney 1 Aveley 1
LONDON Colney earned themselves a replay after holding Ryman Premier Division side Aveley to a 1-1 draw.
Colney looked set to book their place in the next round after taking the lead through David Parkinson but their visitors replied late on to set up the replay which was due to take place last night after The Herts Advertiser went to press.
You may also want to watch:
The Ryman Premier side started brightly with Matt Johnson and Sherwin Stanley creating chances with goalkeeper Alistair Hill did well to block.
The Blueboys should have taken the lead when Frankie Jowle crossed for Kenny Hull but the defender was unable to get a touch with the goal at his mercy.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
Just before half time Hull threaded a ball through to Josh Humbert but Aveley's Michael Alaile got in to clear the danger.
After the break Hill made a fantastic save to deny Junior Dadson, pushing the Aveley man's shot around the post.
Against the run of play the Blueboys opened the scoring in the 59th minute. Hull's throw in found David Parkinson on the edge of the box and he turned his man and struck a low shot past goalkeeper Jamie Lunan.
Both Nicky Symons and Stanley had efforts which went close as Aveley tried to strike back.
At the other end Dave Corran struck a 20-yard shot that went just wide of the post but with just 13 minutes left the visitors equalised.
Sam Lechmere curled in a free kick from the left and Symons was on hand at the back post to bundle the ball home and spare the Ryman Premier Division side's blushes.
Hill, who was in fine form between the sticks, pulled off a couple of good saves to deny Stanley and sub Mitch Hann.
The last chance fell to Colney as Davey and Parkinson combined to set up Humbert but his shot went wide.
London Colney: Hill, Hull, Corran, Humbert, Murphy, Paradise, Jowle (Davey), Magwood, Parkinson, Simmonds (Rowley), Gallagher (McCafferty). Subs: Danslow, Hudson.
Goals from Tony Caines and Bobby Armstrong gave the Reserves a 2-1 win at Aylesbury while two goals from Luke Thatcher gave the Youth team a 2-1 win at Brentwood in the FA Youth Cup last Wednesday.