Blueboys battle hard against Biggleswade Town
Premier Division London Colney 0 Biggleswade Town 2 LONDON Colney hosted third-placed Biggleswade Town at Cotlandswick on Saturday and put in a battling display. Cain Davey fired wide early on and, at the other end, good clearances
London Colney 0 Biggleswade Town 2
LONDON Colney hosted third-placed Biggleswade Town at Cotlandswick on Saturday and put in a battling display.
Cain Davey fired wide early on and, at the other end, good clearances from Lee Benning and Tinashe Jaravaza averted danger from the lively Jack Weedon.
You may also want to watch:
Veteran Dave Townsend set the speedy Jaravaza away and his cross was powerfully headed just over the top by Sam Mitchell via a deflection. Dave Corran whipped in the resulting corner and defender Mark Paradise saw his effort sail just wide.
At the start of the second half, Colney striker Danny Fitzgerald swept over a good cross which was well cleared. The Blueboys then put together a good move which saw Fitzgerald find Mitchell and his low drive was well saved by Town goalkeeper Aaron Springham.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
The visitors snatched the opening goal in the 70th minute when Adam Beansaud struck a deflected free kick into the net, beating unfortunate Colney 'keeper Gary Statham. Colney should have hit back immediately when Dominic Haynes nodded the ball down for Davey but his weak shot was easily saved.
Statham executed a cracking a save to deny Beansaud but Biggleswade struck the second in the final moments of the match. Bradley Harrison blasted in a long range shot that wrong-footed Statham and found the net.
London Colney: Statham, Benning, Townsend, Murphy, Paradise, Shaw, Corran, Mitchell, Jaravaza (Haynes), Davey, Fitzgerald. Unused subs: Crowe, Caines, White.
l London Colney Reserves picked up another three points in Division One on Saturday with a 3-1 win at Harpenden Town Reserves. Goals from Aaron Ames, David Othman and Anthony Donnelly sealed the fine result.
London Colney Reserves: Hill, Donnelly, Farmer, Seymore, Seeby, Swendel, Azzopardi, Dumpleton, Ames, Othman, O'Toole. Subs used: Tyrrell, Ward.