Blake Vivian takes third in inaugral half marathon
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders turned out in force for the opening fixture of the local Sunday Cross Country League at Cheshunt on Sunday.
The five mile course was relatively easy underfoot and Tom Crouch finished in fourth place, followed by Steve Buckle in ninth, Andy Auld (14th), Adam Dunajko (21st), Gary Warren 22nd), Ed Blake (27th), Joe Dunn (28th) and Cathal Gallagher (31st).
The Striders’ ladies team comprised Claire Kremer, Jen Conway, Mercedes Getino, Leda Cox and Deirdre Heydecker.
Striders were also contesting the Rickmansworth 10 mile race. The first Strider to finish was Mark Castleton, eighth in 1hr 2mins 4secs, followed by Martin Whitworth (12th in 1:03.23), Steve Smith (32nd in 1:08.23).
Heather Blamire-Brown was fourth lady in 1hr 9mins 45secs. Also running were Wendy Walsh (1:15.30), Andrew Maher (1:17.52), Ben Scott (1:19.41), Clare Hewitt (1:22.09), Peter Rogers (1:26.58), Joanna Bateman (1: 45.37).
You may also want to watch:
In the inaugural Luton Half Marathon, Blake Vivian finished third in 1hr 19mins 45secs followed by Ben Shute (1:28.51), Anthony Nicolson (1:34.30), Sarah-Jayne Stephens (1:57.23) and Dawn Robson (2:12.22)
Further afield, Graham Smith completed the 10-mile Great South Run in 1hr 2mins 41secs. Edward Bailey ran the North Norfolk 10k in 41mins 58secs. Jack Brooks was first over 60 in the Canadian Moncton marathon in 3hrs 46mins.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Coursers Road, London Colney: Trailer flips over
- 5 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Marford Road, Coleman Green Lane, Wheathampstead: Motorists hospitalised after crash
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
A team of three Striders, Wendy Webster, Lucy Waterlow and Gill Jubb, were joined by Garden City Runner Martha Hall to finish second ladies team in the Frankfurt Marathon Relay in 2hrs 55mins 26secs.