Ben Clarke wins U17 race in style
St Albans Athletic Club’s Ben Clarke won the U17 race at the first 2014-15 Chiltern Cross League event, held at Cassiobury Park.
Clarke, who has been running for the club since U13, beat opposition from Bedford, Windsor and Chiltern Harriers. He led in Edward Anders and Hugh Thomas.
In the youngest age group, Years 5 and 6, the club had 14 runners with Sylvie Foster and Robert Quigley being the highest placed athletes in a team featuring many debutants.
The U13 race over 3km, Keira Stern was STAC’s first girl home in fourth with Sophie Robin and Emily Barnes, all from STAGS, following. Scott Brice was the first boy from St Albans in 13th place, ahead of Jack Dickinson and Matthew Stevens.
Jess Laitner and Callum Walsh were the club’s first runners to cross the line in the 4.5km U15 race.
You may also want to watch:
The club had strength in numbers in the junior ladies with 10 girls from Years 11 and 12 taking part. Tabitha Weddell opened the cross country season well with fifth position overall.
The cross country squads are open to all young runners and train on a Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. www.stalbans-athletics.org.uk
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district