Ben Clarke wins U17 race in style
St Albans Athletic Club’s Ben Clarke won the U17 race at the first 2014-15 Chiltern Cross League event, held at Cassiobury Park.
Clarke, who has been running for the club since U13, beat opposition from Bedford, Windsor and Chiltern Harriers. He led in Edward Anders and Hugh Thomas.
In the youngest age group, Years 5 and 6, the club had 14 runners with Sylvie Foster and Robert Quigley being the highest placed athletes in a team featuring many debutants.
The U13 race over 3km, Keira Stern was STAC’s first girl home in fourth with Sophie Robin and Emily Barnes, all from STAGS, following. Scott Brice was the first boy from St Albans in 13th place, ahead of Jack Dickinson and Matthew Stevens.
Jess Laitner and Callum Walsh were the club’s first runners to cross the line in the 4.5km U15 race.
You may also want to watch:
The club had strength in numbers in the junior ladies with 10 girls from Years 11 and 12 taking part. Tabitha Weddell opened the cross country season well with fifth position overall.
The cross country squads are open to all young runners and train on a Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. www.stalbans-athletics.org.uk
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans