Belstone thrash Whitwell
Herts Senior County League Division One Belstone 5-1 Whitwell AFC RADLETT-based Belstone continued winning ways on Wednesday evening with victory in their opening senior home match. Whitwell also new to the league, came in to the game on the back of a 1-
Herts Senior County League Division One
Belstone 5-1 Whitwell AFC
RADLETT-based Belstone continued winning ways on Wednesday evening with victory in their opening senior home match. Whitwell also new to the league, came in to the game on the back of a 1-1 draw.
Whitwell got off to the better start but as the game progressed Belstone started to take a hold on the game and after half an hour opened the scoring when midfielder Steve Quinn rounded four defenders before slotting the ball inside the far post.
You may also want to watch:
This helped an already dominant Belstone and they were unlucky to go into the break only one up.
Belstone started the second half in control but against the run of play, a mix-up between defender Tom Merritt and keeper Ashley Bendall allowed Whitwell to tap home an equaliser.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 Sustainable St Albans hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
However, proceedings were level for only five minutes when Michael Brindley bravely taped home from a great cross by wide player Michael Quinn.
Whitwell in search of an equaliser were restricted to long range efforts by good defending lead by captain James Rattray.
Belstone continued their dominance and soon put the game out of sight when forward Jake Weise tapped home the rebound from a vicious Brindley effort.
Steve Quinn then latched onto a great through ball from midfield partner James Smithson and lifted the ball over the on-rushing keeper making it 4-1.
Andre White, who looked lively following his introduction, wrapped up proceedings, when he outmuscled the defender before producing a composed finish.
The win puts Belstone at the top of the table on goal difference as one of only four teams with a 100 percent record.
Belstone: Bendall, K. Yule, Samples, Rattray (C), Merritt, Smithson, M. Quinn (Windsor), S. Quinn, Weise (White), Brindley (P. Yule), Blackburne. Subs not used: Madison, Mason.