Belstone off to a flying start
Herts Senior County League Division One St Peter s 0 Belstone 2 BELSTONE got off to a winning start in their first ever competitive Saturday match. St Peter s came closest to opening the scoring before half time when they hit the post. Manager Joe Sher
Herts Senior County League Division One
St Peter's 0 Belstone 2
BELSTONE got off to a winning start in their first ever competitive Saturday match.
St Peter's came closest to opening the scoring before half time when they hit the post.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Joe Sheridan, playing at left back, slid in just doing enough to prevent 'keeper Ashley Bendall from having to make a save.
Belstone came out for the second half and started to dominate the match.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
The opening goal came after an hour when the impressive James Smithson found centre back Tom Merritt on the edge of the St Peter's box.
Merritt shaped to shoot before rounding the defender and coolly slotting the ball inside the near post.
St Peter's worked hard to find an equaliser but couldn't break down the Belstone defence, with captain James Rattray in fine form at the heart of defence next to Merritt.
James Smithson continued to dominate in midfield to keep the St Peter's attacks at bay.
The second goal came with 15 minutes to go.
Striker Jake Weise received the ball 20 yards out, after making himself a yard of space hit a crackerjack effort that flew in after hitting both posts.
Belstone then sat back and soaked up the pressure to secure a comfortable win.