Belstone off to a flying start
Herts Senior County League Division One St Peter s 0 Belstone 2 BELSTONE got off to a winning start in their first ever competitive Saturday match. St Peter s came closest to opening the scoring before half time when they hit the post. Manager Joe Sher
Herts Senior County League Division One
St Peter's 0 Belstone 2
BELSTONE got off to a winning start in their first ever competitive Saturday match.
St Peter's came closest to opening the scoring before half time when they hit the post.
Manager Joe Sheridan, playing at left back, slid in just doing enough to prevent 'keeper Ashley Bendall from having to make a save.
Belstone came out for the second half and started to dominate the match.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
The opening goal came after an hour when the impressive James Smithson found centre back Tom Merritt on the edge of the St Peter's box.
Merritt shaped to shoot before rounding the defender and coolly slotting the ball inside the near post.
St Peter's worked hard to find an equaliser but couldn't break down the Belstone defence, with captain James Rattray in fine form at the heart of defence next to Merritt.
James Smithson continued to dominate in midfield to keep the St Peter's attacks at bay.
The second goal came with 15 minutes to go.
Striker Jake Weise received the ball 20 yards out, after making himself a yard of space hit a crackerjack effort that flew in after hitting both posts.
Belstone then sat back and soaked up the pressure to secure a comfortable win.