Belstone off to a flying start
Herts Senior County League Division One St Peter s 0 Belstone 2 BELSTONE got off to a winning start in their first ever competitive Saturday match. St Peter s came closest to opening the scoring before half time when they hit the post. Manager Joe Sher
Herts Senior County League Division One
St Peter's 0 Belstone 2
BELSTONE got off to a winning start in their first ever competitive Saturday match.
St Peter's came closest to opening the scoring before half time when they hit the post.
Manager Joe Sheridan, playing at left back, slid in just doing enough to prevent 'keeper Ashley Bendall from having to make a save.
Belstone came out for the second half and started to dominate the match.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
The opening goal came after an hour when the impressive James Smithson found centre back Tom Merritt on the edge of the St Peter's box.
Merritt shaped to shoot before rounding the defender and coolly slotting the ball inside the near post.
St Peter's worked hard to find an equaliser but couldn't break down the Belstone defence, with captain James Rattray in fine form at the heart of defence next to Merritt.
James Smithson continued to dominate in midfield to keep the St Peter's attacks at bay.
The second goal came with 15 minutes to go.
Striker Jake Weise received the ball 20 yards out, after making himself a yard of space hit a crackerjack effort that flew in after hitting both posts.
Belstone then sat back and soaked up the pressure to secure a comfortable win.