Belarus give St Albans City good workout
ST ALBANS City gave a good account of themselves as they were beaten 3-1 by the Belarus Olympic Games team in Colchester this afternoon.
Saints used the game as a pre-season workout and fielded a total of 23 players during the match against international opposition.
The first City XI led 1-0 at half-time after striker Simon Martin had found the back of the net.
Belarus, who are in same Olympic Games group as gold medal favourites Brazil, found their way back into the match in the second half as they levelled and went on to triumph 3-1 as City made a host of changes to their line-up.
After the game St Albans boss David Howell tweeted: “23 players used but the 1st starting XI led 1-0 at HT through Simon Martin. Good workout for both teams.”
A second St Albans City XI took on near neighbours Colney Heath at the Recreation Ground and fell to a 6-4 defeat, City netted through Aaron Lansiquot, Dave Parkinson, an own goal and Eligh Ogunsewe.
St Albans City’s next friendly is on Saturday, July 21 as they entertain League 2 Barnet at Clarence Park, the following Monday (July 23) they host Luton Town.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
See the link above right for the Saints full pre-season fixture list.