Belarus give St Albans City good workout
ST ALBANS City gave a good account of themselves as they were beaten 3-1 by the Belarus Olympic Games team in Colchester this afternoon.
Saints used the game as a pre-season workout and fielded a total of 23 players during the match against international opposition.
The first City XI led 1-0 at half-time after striker Simon Martin had found the back of the net.
Belarus, who are in same Olympic Games group as gold medal favourites Brazil, found their way back into the match in the second half as they levelled and went on to triumph 3-1 as City made a host of changes to their line-up.
After the game St Albans boss David Howell tweeted: “23 players used but the 1st starting XI led 1-0 at HT through Simon Martin. Good workout for both teams.”
You may also want to watch:
A second St Albans City XI took on near neighbours Colney Heath at the Recreation Ground and fell to a 6-4 defeat, City netted through Aaron Lansiquot, Dave Parkinson, an own goal and Eligh Ogunsewe.
St Albans City’s next friendly is on Saturday, July 21 as they entertain League 2 Barnet at Clarence Park, the following Monday (July 23) they host Luton Town.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
See the link above right for the Saints full pre-season fixture list.