Belarus give St Albans City good workout
ST ALBANS City gave a good account of themselves as they were beaten 3-1 by the Belarus Olympic Games team in Colchester this afternoon.
Saints used the game as a pre-season workout and fielded a total of 23 players during the match against international opposition.
The first City XI led 1-0 at half-time after striker Simon Martin had found the back of the net.
Belarus, who are in same Olympic Games group as gold medal favourites Brazil, found their way back into the match in the second half as they levelled and went on to triumph 3-1 as City made a host of changes to their line-up.
After the game St Albans boss David Howell tweeted: “23 players used but the 1st starting XI led 1-0 at HT through Simon Martin. Good workout for both teams.”
A second St Albans City XI took on near neighbours Colney Heath at the Recreation Ground and fell to a 6-4 defeat, City netted through Aaron Lansiquot, Dave Parkinson, an own goal and Eligh Ogunsewe.
St Albans City’s next friendly is on Saturday, July 21 as they entertain League 2 Barnet at Clarence Park, the following Monday (July 23) they host Luton Town.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 4 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 8 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
See the link above right for the Saints full pre-season fixture list.