Belarus give St Albans City good workout
ST ALBANS City gave a good account of themselves as they were beaten 3-1 by the Belarus Olympic Games team in Colchester this afternoon.
Saints used the game as a pre-season workout and fielded a total of 23 players during the match against international opposition.
The first City XI led 1-0 at half-time after striker Simon Martin had found the back of the net.
Belarus, who are in same Olympic Games group as gold medal favourites Brazil, found their way back into the match in the second half as they levelled and went on to triumph 3-1 as City made a host of changes to their line-up.
After the game St Albans boss David Howell tweeted: “23 players used but the 1st starting XI led 1-0 at HT through Simon Martin. Good workout for both teams.”
You may also want to watch:
A second St Albans City XI took on near neighbours Colney Heath at the Recreation Ground and fell to a 6-4 defeat, City netted through Aaron Lansiquot, Dave Parkinson, an own goal and Eligh Ogunsewe.
St Albans City’s next friendly is on Saturday, July 21 as they entertain League 2 Barnet at Clarence Park, the following Monday (July 23) they host Luton Town.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
See the link above right for the Saints full pre-season fixture list.