Bedford name squad to face OAs
Bedford Blues will be handing starting jerseys to no fewer than nine new players as they head into their first pre-season friendly clash against Old Albanians at Goldington Road tomorrow night (KO 7.45pm).
Fullback Jim Wigglesworth, centre Steven Ellis, winger Dean Adamson, fly half Steffan Jones and scrum half Peter White all start in the backs while props Camilo Parilli-Ocampo and James Currie join back rowers Kennet O’Neil and Josh Buggea in the pack. The Blues will be captained by seasoned campaigner Paul Tupai who is joined in the second row with Mike Howard.
Looking ahead to the opening pre-season fixture, Blues’ director of rugby Mike Rayer said: “The whole squad are really looking forward to Friday night especially the debutants. The exciting part is that this is pretty much a new era for all of us. There has been a lot of change in personnel on and off the field and now we get the chance to have a look at the work we have done over pre season exactly where it counts, on the field.
“These next two weeks will see us give the whole squad an opportunity to impress and put a marker down. It is vital that we start the Championship well this season so these games are vital in our attempts to gel quickly and establish some cohesion. It would be great to see a decent crowd in Friday night and at these entrance prices it promises to be a real good evening out”
Tickets for the game cost just £5 for adults with free entry for anyone under 18. Seats in the Eagle Stand are available on a first come first serve basis and at no extra cost.
You may also want to watch:
15. Jim Wigglesworth
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
14. Pat Tapley
13. Mike Le Bourgeois
12. Steven Ellis
11. Dean Adamson
10. Steffan Jones
9. Peter White
1. Camillo Parilli-Ocampo
2. Charlie Clare
3. James Currie
4. Paul Tupai
5. Mike Howard
6. Kennet O’Neil
7. Josh Buggea
8. Joe Vandermolen
Replacements:Tom Williams (prop), TJ Harris (hooker), Jack Culverhouse (prop), Justin Blanchet (back row), Nick Fenton-Wells (back row), Kieran Duffin (scrum half), Ollie Dodge (centre/wing), Henry Staff (centre), James Pritchard (fullback/wing).