Beaver Travel run riot

Redfern nets four in big win

Herts Advertiser Intermediate Cup

Beaver Travel who are Three divisions above Sandridge were in control from the start and were 5-1 up by the break, writes Brian Hubball.

But for the heroics of Man of the Match Michael Oliver in goal the score could have been doubled. Ian Redfern led Beaver’s scoring with four goals.

Derek Lafbery added a brace and singles came from Simon Phillips, Chris Morriss and Darren Bassill. Guiseppe Campanella replied for Sports who deserved full credit for not giving up.

Cup holders Hare & Hounds started the defence of the Intermediate Cup with an 8-2 victory over Caledon Thistle. In the first half Hounds were guilty of missing chances and playing too many long balls and were fortunate to go in 2-1 ahead.

However the second half was a different story with Hounds running riot and playing a more cultured passing game. Top scorer Adam Fowler (four), Matty Phillips (two), Jimmy Manfre and Man of the Match Chris Cutmore were the goalscorers.

Most Read

Hounds even had the luxury of missing a second half penalty, the culprit being Ben Conrad.

Cup finalists last season, Three Hammers proved too strong for The Camp Albanians when recording a 14-2 victory. Ace marksman Craig Taylor led the way with five goals, followed by Paul Lilly (three), John Baines (two), Paul Chunn (two), Tom Clark and Tom Herd.

Albanians’ goals came from Josh Godden and Warren Bell. Darren Woolmer was Albanians’ top player.

Colney Heath Rangers progressed safely into the second round with a convincing 7-0 win over Harpenden Arms.

The home side took all of two minutes to open the scoring, Ian Hutchinson finishing from close range.

A fine move brought the second scored by captain Adam Vennard

The third didn’t come until after half time when Hutchinson scored his second of the game. Sebastian Launden made it four shortly afterwards after a good run by Craig Ashurst who then added his name to the score sheet with a fine finish.

Hutchinson completed his hat trick to make is six before Hayden Ashurst scored a goal similar to his brother’s to make it seven.

Herts Advertiser Junior Cup

With seven regulars missing, Marquis of Granby were good for an early lead when Ross Dempsey scored his first ever goal with a header at the back post.

Oaks equalised , then Alex Vaughan tore down the wing to net for Marquis before the break. Straight from the kick off Alex Vaughan scored his second goal, dribbling past six defenders to hit high in to the net for Marquis.

Oaks seized on a defensive mistake to pull back the deficit followed by a great individual play by Martin Smith to coolly chip past the Oaks ‘keeper for a contender for goal of the season, and a deserved 4-2 lead.

Three injuries exhausted Marquis squad and substitutions meant Marquis were playing with nine reserves on the field.

With 15 minutes to play Oaks pulled two goals back to grab extra time at 4-4. Two goals in the first period of extra time gave Oaks victory against a depleted Marquis who can take great credit for the performance against their higher division opponents. Oaks’ goals came from Steve Dorer (two), Mat Fulcher (two), Andy Palmer and Harry Hunt.

Greenwood Park pulled of a sensational win in the Junior Cup beating Golden Lion 5-1.

Greenwood Park were on the back foot for the first 15 minutes as Golden Lion pressed for the opener and were denied by a great save from Carl Webb, this spurred on Greenwood and they went on to dominate the first half and went in at half time 1-0 up thanks to Nick Fanshaw scoring from 18 yards.

Lion pushed for the equaliser and drew level after 10 minutes, however Greenwood reacted positively and Nick Fanshaw set up Michael Kwok for his first of the season with a crisp finish from 12 yards. Nick Pennington then added a third for Greenwood after a fine move with Pennington scoring from just inside the box. Scott Johnson then got on the act netting two goals in 10 minutes to wrap up the game. Nick Pennington was the Man of the Match for Greenwood

In a close game Skew Bridge Res had more possession, but St Albans IFC the better chances.

Neither side could break the deadlock after 90 minutes.

IFC took the lead through an own goal following a Luke Campion free kick.

Skew equalised through Adam Fitton from a set piece. The match then went to penalties, fthe irst eight all scored. Ben Coote saved for IFC then Mario Concialdi scored the winning penalty.

O’Neills Celtic put in a solid performance to defeat Marshalswick Rovers 4-0.

The outstanding Sam Galway and Man of the Match Luke Wright both scored along with Eddie Chisenwa and new signing Ashley Tickner.

Twice Dukes were trailing St Albans Royals before grabbing a late equaliser to force the game into extra-time and winning 3-2. Dukes’ goals came from Nathan Connolly, James Cannon and Jack Johnson.

Phoenix A upset the formbook when defeating Division Three side Wheathampstead ‘89 3-1 with goals by Shane McDonald, Lewis Kirkby and Guiseppe Citrano.

Lifted Music reached the third round of the Junior Cup with a 4-2 win over Brookmans Park A.

Last year’s finalists got off to a great start with Scott Timmins scoring 10 minutes into his debut and this was followed up by a superb strike on the turn from centre back Ricky Petts to give Lifted a 2-0 lead.

Brookmans Park were then let back into the game as they scored on the counter attack, and despite the home side dominating it was the Division Four team who scored again to bring the game level, James Arey and Ryan Painter the scorers.

There were half chances at both ends but Lifted were given the opportunity to regain the lead from the penalty spot when Tommy Smith was brought down in the box, and Nick Roll converted the penalty for his first goal of the season.

Last year’s top scorer Aaron King came on mid way through the second half for his first game of the season and carried on where he left off last year with a great strike to make it 4-2 and send Lifted through.

Old Albanians Res and Cottonmill were sharing six goals early in the second half before Albanians took control to run out 6-3 winners. Darren Weir was the pick of the cottonmill side, their goals came from Lee Sturgess (two) and James Brookman.

An own goal plus a Garry Farrow single edged Kings Head into a 2-1 victory against Vision Res.

Herts Advertiser Challenge Cup

Harpenden Colts Old Boys rose to the challenge from Division One rivals Phoenix in this Challenge Cup second round match.

They were never behind finally running our 4-2 winners with a brace from James Warner and singles from Oliver Spicer and Ben Neale.

Defender Alex Whitehurst was outstanding for Colts on his return from injury and was well supported by Richard Oxley who worked tirelessly in the Colts midfield.

Phoenix tried to dominate much of the late play but they didn’t have the clinical finishing of their opponents.

Top marksman Liam Addlesee scored both Phoenix goals

FC Potters Bar moved into the next round with a fine 5-2 away win against Church End.

Bill Jones led the way with his first hat-trick of the season plus singles by Josh Humbert and Jason Mac.

It was Reece Brandon that picked up Bar’s Man of the Match tag.

London Road recorded their first win of the season, defeating AFC Rangers 2-1.

Rangers made a slow start before John Norris edged Road ahead with a stunning shot.

A breakaway goal by Norris increased Road’s lead. Adam Potter pulled back the deficit.

Road should have scored a third but ‘keeper Matt Dean saved a Norris penalty.

Herts Advertiser Knockout Cup

Two goals from Ollie Franks plus a Chris Lorriman strike and an own goal gave Oaklands a 4-1 win against Phoenix Res.

Ally Hill replied for Phoenix.

Premier Division

Nicholas Breakspear OB opened up the title race when defeating previously unbeaten Queens Head Sandridge 2-1 with goals from Cain Davey and former Queens favourite Dave Parkinson. Phil Turner replied for Queens.

Hogs Blacksmiths had their ‘keeper Steve Kirikal to thank for all three points in a 1-0 win against Vision who should have won comfortably. Hogs started the brighter but failed to make the most of the chances.

Vision called the tune after the break only for Hogs defence to stand firm.

Changes by Hogs supremo David Craggs tightened things up and a quick break by Dene Lewis saw him at last take one of his many chances to score the winning goal.

Division One

Brookmans Park recorded their first league win of the season, defeating AFC Rangers Res 2-1 with two goals by Darren Chillingworth.

The game had added interest with three Smith brothers playing for Park and Trevor coming out on top with a brilliant midfield performance.

Six Bells put in another poor display when outplayed by a Maylands side 5-0 that had Ozzie Bilir in superb form.

Three goals in the opening half put the game beyond Bells as Maylands added another two. Goalscorers: Oliver Peach (two), Ozzie Bilir (two), Matt Dean.

Division Two

It was a busy morning for Brookmans Park Res’ goalkeeper Paul Goldie when his side were thumped by R�al Mail 11-3.

Jon Edmonds (two) and Pete Ciezak netted for Brookmans Park.

Division Three

Nicholas Breakspear OB Res picked up their second league win when defeating Bar 62 4-3 with goals by Dan Megias, Devon Smith, Ami Nolkwe and Joey Sinapi.

Kurtis Patterson was their outstanding player.

Division Four

A good performance by Sandridge Harvesters Sports saw them beat a decent Radlett Village team 4-1.

Goals came from Chris Wickens, Grant Hamilton and Rhys Haskins plus an own goal sealing it for in-form Sports who had Chris Hulks in Man of the Match form.

Insurance Store recorded their second league win, overcoming AFC Redbourn 6-1 with goals from: Darren Pomroy (two), Cesar Da Silva, Tawhid Juneja, Greg Pearson, Mark Winter and Dan Coyle.

Division Five

Harpenden Colts Old Boys Reserves maintained top spot in Division 5 as they hit a hat trick of hat tricks to beat bottom side Sandridge & Harvesters Reserves 9-0.

Man of the Match Steven Easterbrook, Andrew Cannons and Freddie Warner all helped themselves to trebles.

Marc Oakley was outstanding in midfield for Colts setting up the win with numerous probing passes and forward runs with keeper Ricky Figg making an outstanding save to keep his third clean sheet of the season. Jason Gray battled bravely up-front for Harvesters.

Herts Sunday Junior Cup

Dylan Williams was in peak form for Oaks Res in their re-arranged cup clash with Dynamo Cross. Unfortunately they went down 2-1 with Chris Gunning their marksman.