Beacon of light for St Albans after first win

A St Albans player is wrapped up by an opponent

A St Albans player is wrapped up by an opponent - Credit: Archant

St Albans got their season back on track with their first win on Saturday, narrowly edging a previously unbeaten Beaconsfield 10-8.

Several St Albans players tackle a Beaconsfield player

Several St Albans players tackle a Beaconsfield player - Credit: Archant

It was the visitors who made the brighter start, comfortably winning set plays.

Saints defence was being tested to the full, but it remained resolute. And it the hosts who created the first real scoring opportunity.

Centre Dan Townson was put through one-on-one with the full-back and only a high tackle stopped a certain score, earning the Beaconsfield man a yellow card.

No penalty try was awarded and Saints failed to capitalise on the extra man after kicking for the corner.

Territorially, the visitors resumed their superiority, camping in Saints’ 22 and the hosts were conceding penalties aplenty resulting in Tony Stevenson being handed a 10-minute break.

Beaconsfield turned the screw and opened their account. With their full back returned to the fray, it was Saints now a man down and Beaconsfield looked in charge.

Most Read

Saints clawed their way back with a long range penalty from Mark Kentish,

Saints have a growing belief in their ability to score tries and when Kentish chose to turn down three points in favour of kicking to the corner, they knew they had to come away with something.

The catch and drive worked initially, but Saints were held and the ball was spun left. Great ball retention opened a gap opened on the blind side and Trude took advantage. A superb touchline conversion from Kentish gave Saints a lead they would not relinquish.

There were further chances to both teams as half-time approached but the defences were still dominant.

As the half progressed, Saints seemed to show a superior fitness and edged the areas where they had earlier struggled.

With no points having been scored in the first half and only five separating the teams the match was on a knife edge.

Beaconsfield added a penalty to reduce the gap to two in the second period but it was the final score of the game and St Albans ran out victorious.

Saints face a trip to Twickenham this weekend, 3pm kick-off.