Battling Saints lose
Herts Senior County League Division One St Peter s 0 Chipperfield Corinthians 2 After last week s problems of not being able to field a side, St Peter s could have done without a fixture against top of the table Chipperfield Corinthians. A lot of work beh
Herts Senior County League Division One
St Peter's 0 Chipperfield Corinthians 2
After last week's problems of not being able to field a side, St Peter's could have done without a fixture against top of the table Chipperfield Corinthians.
A lot of work behind the scenes enabled the Saints to field a side in a game they eventually lost 2-0.
The visitors, leading the league table by eight points, put the Saints under a lot of pressure, but they found a determined Saints outfit hard to break down with defenders Dean Edghill and Chris Griffin contesting every ball as if their lives depended on it.
The side gave the visitors a real battle restricting them to few good openings but in attack they rarely tested the Chipperfield 'keeper.
- 1 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 2 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 3 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 4 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 5 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 6 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 7 Alex Lankshear goes pro after leaving St Albans City for a Championship side
- 8 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 9 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 10 'Summer holiday blues? Why I'm gloating about being child-free'
The visitors opened the scoring just before the break capitalising on the Saints defence's ball watching to open the scoring.
St Peter's continued to battle after the break and their goalkeeper, stand-in captain Johnny Shearer frustrated the visitors on numerous occasions.
However another lapse in concentration at the back gifted the visitors a second goal and ten minutes from time the Saints were reduced to ten men when Marlon Jones was given his marching orders.
Despite the defeat it was an encouraging performance from the Saints which will hopefully keep them going until the end of the season.
Next week sees St Peter's travel to Bedwell Rangers Kick off is at 3pm.
St Peters: Shearer, Edghill, Griffin, Staughton, M.Jones, Njenga, Bedeau, Crouch, Chapman, Thompson, Bradshaw. Subs. Shea, T.Gauthier, Morris.