Battling Blueboys lose out in six goal thriller
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division St Margaretsbury 4 London Colney 2 DANNY Fitzgerald returned for the Blueboys and took just five minutes to open his account for a shock away lead. Danny McCafferty fired the ball to the edge of the bo
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
St Margaretsbury 4 London Colney 2
DANNY Fitzgerald returned for the Blueboys and took just five minutes to open his account for a shock away lead. Danny McCafferty fired the ball to the edge of the box and Fitzgerald beat his marker before firing low into the corner, giving goalkeeper Kris Smithers no chance.
Colney goalkeeper Stuart McHale made two good saves, denying Steve Barker and Mitchell Linger. Fitzgerald fired a second effort just wide after a surging run and McHale tipped over a shot from Marc Angelini.
St Margaretsbury scored an equaliser when Ricky Light hit a 30-yard free kick into the back of the net. The Blueboys had chances to respond, with Mark Paradise firing just over the top and Craig White shooting wide.
Dominic Haynes was denied a shooting chance by an awkward bounce after combining well with the lively Fitzgerald.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 3 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 4 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 8 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
Cain Davey set up Fitzgerald next with some quality play but the shot was pushed around the post. McCafferty and Fitzgerald then worked a short corner from which a Haynes shot was handled in the box. Colney were awarded their first penalty of the season and McCafferty stepped up to blast home, sending Smithers the wrong way for 2-1.
The joy for Colney was short lived as Steve Barker equalised with a downward header from a corner kick for 2-2 at the break.
Haynes and Fitzgerald were denied by goalkeeper Smithers after the restart before the Blueboys found themselves 3-2 down. Light capitalised on a defensive mistake to volley the ball into the top corner.
The Blueboys pushed forward, looking for a dramatic equaliser, only to find themselves 4-2 down. Loren Maxwell raced clear and drove the ball past McHale into the bottom corner.
Davey was unable to find the net with a late chance for Colney after more good work from Fitzgerald and the final score was 4-2 to the hosts.
London Colney: McHale, Benning, McCafferty, Murphy, Paradise, Mitchell, Haynes (Purdue), Butcher (Townsend), White (O'Toole), Davey, Fitzgerald.
Tinashe Jaravaza scored for London Colney reserves but they succumbed to a late goal, going down 2-1 to Leverstock Green reserves.
London Colney: Hill, Othman, Dumpleton, Symore, Swendell, Crowe, Ward, Doolan, Connell, Jaravaza, Sergent. Subs: Seeby for Othman, Linnett for Sergent. Unused subs: Azzopardi, Tyrrell.