Bates helps Harpenden defeat Hemel
HCPL Division Two (East) Hemel Hempstead 142-10 (60) Harpenden 143-2 (46.1) HARPENDEN cruised to an eight-wicket win at Heath Park against Hemel Hempstead on Saturday. Victory ensured Harpenden secured survival in the HCPL Division Two (East)
HCPL Division Two (East)
Hemel Hempstead 142-10 (60) Harpenden 143-2 (46.1)
HARPENDEN cruised to an eight-wicket win at Heath Park against Hemel Hempstead on Saturday.
Victory ensured Harpenden secured survival in the HCPL Division Two (East) for the second successive season, a fine achievement for the club.
Harpenden won the toss and the decision to bowl first was soon vindicated. Oliver Tuck broke up the open partnership with a smart run out and Chris Arnold (3 for 31 off 15 overs) and Mark Mason (3 for 55 off 16.3 overs) soon began to wreak havoc. Ben Mahoney and Sulaman Qadir each picked up one wicket as Hemel were bowled out for 142.
In reply, Harpenden eased to victory led by opener Will Bates (57 not out), Adam Winchester (32) and William Jones (38). Harpenden sealed the win on 143-2 off 46.1 overs.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
In Division Three of the Saracens Herts League Harpenden II hosted Wheathampstead in a match for local pride.
Wheathampstead scored 151-9 after being inserted with Chris Bates (23), Adam Robbins (41) and Dillan Yogendra (29) making the main contributions. Peter Makower took 4 for 47 for Harpenden and Mike Cooper picked up 3 for 27 as the Division Three champions took charge.
In reply, the impressive Harpenden openers continued their stunning form, with Tony Hooper smashing 70 not out off 93 balls with 12 fours and Mick Brookes hitting 73 not out off 105 balls with eight fours. Harpenden wrapped up victory on 153-0 off 33 overs.
Simon Wade hit 70 off 95 balls as Harpenden III picked up an exciting victory at St George's School against Bushey in Division Four.
Laurie Davis (42), Guy Watts (19) and Duncan Gilson (23) also contributed well as Harpenden posted 237-8 off 53 overs.
In reply, Alex Randall took 3 for 29 off eight overs and Gilson snaffled 3 for 40 off eight overs as Harpenden bowled out the visitors for 213 off 46 overs. Mark Hoefield claimed two wickets and Rupert Garrett took one.